Sign in to follow this  
CCHSNC

8 Cylinder 7.3 Liter Turbo Diesel

I have never owned a vehicle with diesel before and could use some pointers on maintenace and such. How often do glow plugs need to be changed? Is it like changing spark plugs?? How about the oil does it still need to be changed the same as a gas engine? Any other maitenace things I should know about? I don't meen to sound dumb because I actually am pretty good with vehicles I just don't know a thing about desiel engines.

The Glow plugs are not like spark plugs. You only need to change them when they fail. They are mostly needed to heat up the combustion chamber so that the compression of the engine will ignite the fuel air mixture.

The oil is recommended by Ford to be changed every 3000 miles on the later models of pickups (1999 to present). It should be about the same for yours, but I am not sure. International has a change interval of 10,000 miles for the same engine. I don't know why there is a difference. Don't be shocked. It takes 15 quarts of oil to change the oil in one of these.

If you want more information on Ford Diesel trucks in particular, you might want to go to www.thedieselstop.com and click on the forums. Some of those guys have an incredible amount of knowledge on the International 444 that is the Ford 7.3

Scott Stone

I change my oil and fliter every 5000 miles, the dealer said that is ok but not to go longer.

Very little maintanece on diesles and you will love it, noise and all.

Chanage the fuel filter once a month if you do a lot of driving in dusty area or pull a trailer often, or you can go 2 month with it.

I change my air filter monthly, fuel filter monthly too. I buy all my filters from my local Fram distributor and that includes filters for my equipment also.

Come to think of it when you have it serviced have the tranny fluid and rear end replaced with synthetic.

I use Delo oil but if we start talking what is best oil there will never be an end to it.

Per Ford-normal conditions

Oil and filter every 5,000 miles-I change at 3,500

If you change your own oil you must fill the new oil filter before replacing. Takes one half gallon. Actually the oil change places must also this.

Fuel filter every 15,000

Transmission and filter(automatic) every 30,000

Transfer case every 30,000

Air filter -as needed. I use a K&N wash, dry, oil and replace

Tire rotation and balance every 5,000

Engine coolant every 60,000 FW-16 additive every 15,000 depending on test strips. (this is critical)

Must stay with green antifreeze prior to 2002.

In very cold climate(sustained 32 F and below) do not let the fuel tank get below 1/4.

If you do the fuel will gell on the pump pickup. Will make a hell of a noise. You will think the engine is coming a part . Add ten gallons of diesel and she will be back to normal