Sign in to follow this  
Bryan C

Woodies - I Need Your Help...

Question

Got a call today from a woman who is selling her house and needs a complete house makeover - wood deck, vinyl house wash, as well as concrete.

I told her that I would be unable to seal the deck due to the tempatures but she wants the wood thoroughly cleaned to remove the mold.

Approximately 950 square feet of deck, over 200 spindles, 19 steps, large amount of lattice - large amounts of mold. What is the best approach for just cleaning? Just a precarb or is a diluted stripper needed for this kind of mold? I was looking at approximately $1.25/square foot - is this reasonable?

If anyone wants the rest - 4000 square foot house, heavy mildew, gutters are black. Detached garage - another 1400 square feet.

Concrete - 500 square feet.

She needs it done ASAP as she wants to list it in the next two weeks. I don't want to lose this one by a lowball hack but want to price it accordingly.

Pictures attached...

modify_inline.gif

post-3049-137772194432_thumb.jpg

post-3049-137772194438_thumb.jpg

post-3049-137772194443_thumb.jpg

post-3049-137772194447_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

If you are talking about $1.25 per s/f for the floor measurement, you'll lose your shirt. $1.25 per s/f of wood including 4.5 s/f of wood per linear foot of rail plus the steps, plus the lattice is a little low for me here but you should make some money at that rate. To give you an idea what you are looking at, you could have 2,500+ s/f of wood.. hard to tell from the pictures. If the deck is more than 6-8 ft off the ground add another 15-20%.

House wash I would be around the $850 mark with gutter scrubbing, applying window "brightener" and wax/polymer. Basic soap on/ soap off of house would be $595. Your area may be about 2/3 my prices.

Don't let the customer get the upper hand in the sale by saying "we're just selling it and want a quickie". They will get back every dollar you charge plus some and the house will move off the house far quicker. That, to an agent is money in their pocket. I would do the concrete for free to throw in a bone.

Some could clean and stain that deck at $1.25-$1.50 (counting all the wood).. and wash the house fer 10 cents per sq. ft. of wall. What ya plan on charging for the house and concrete?

ps- you say below that would has stain?..bleach it. It can be argued that percarb is effective but I think that level of mold you may have to boost it too much compared to a simple hypochloriting it..

Ken -

Give me the run-down of "just cleaning" the wood. This deck has a stain on it. How do you remove mold from a stained deck without stripping it? I haven't run into a job like this yet and am unsure what to use to get it done.

I prefer to strip it but the customer doesn't want it sealed. Is there a way to just clean it up - removing the mold but not the crap stain on it?

I am right there with you on the others - housewash etc.

Some could clean and stain that deck at $1.25-$1.50 (counting all the wood).. and wash the house fer 10 cents per sq. ft. of wall. What ya plan on charging for the house and concrete?

Can't seal it currently as it is too cold. I get .15 per s/f for housewashes and .10 per s/f for concrete. Just don't want to lose my ass on this deck...

Bryan,

There is nothing you can do with that stain other than strip it off. Its so oxidized and failed that even bleach will remove most of it. I would downstream stripper onto it, wash it and brighten it for .60 per s/f (total wood or the $1.25 you mentioned originally for the floor should c.y.a.

The stain on that deck is ready to come off even with a percarbonate cleaner.

You should at least do the homeowner the favor of sealing it with a clear sealant to keep it from turning gray within the next 6 weeks.

Your client would do well to have a stain applied as it improves the look, adds value to the structure (in the buyers eyes) in the fact that it looks taken care of and not neglected and will last much longer in case the house does not sell with in the first few months.

Rod!~

Thanks for the help everyone. Will this be a difficult strip, especially due to the colder temperatures?

What ratio of F-18 per 5? Mid 40's hopefully next week. I agree on the clear sealer and have told the customer that the deck will gray quickly, possibly before its even sold. She is considering it. Any advice on application in mid-December in central Indiana?

It could be yes. Mix the chems with hot water if you have a machine that generates it. Also if you have a machine that is hot water capable you can turn on the burner and warm the water to about 70 for washing. Not hot, but not ice cold either. It helps in cold weather.

Beth

A few more things...Do make it known and alllow for possable furring. Anytime you do wood this done in ya could get some fur that could up your labor.

By the amount of stain that seems left in yer pic I would think what is going to come off with a real mild cleaner or weak bleach is going to be about that of just the washer alone. Is there and areas that are holding stain better like on north side verticles or trim?..With that said whatever you do just make sure to use enough to kill it.

Why use a clear sealer? Same time for a semi trans and it will look and last 10 times better. If you sell it on fact that clears offer no uv protection from graying any smart person will choose the little extra expense for the stain price compared to say a big box store water seal.

I agree on the sealer, don't get me wrong. I don't like clear sealers either, but this customer is more concerned about the appearance of the house when she is showing it rather than any long term benefits by using a semi-transparent sealer.

I hate selling half a deck job, especially this big. But the customer wants to be practical I guess. She has already relocated and the house is empty - I am just waiting for the go ahead to clean.

So I am clear - strip with F-18 and then a good ox bath? How much stripper per 5 to get this stuff off, especially in cold temps? Sorry, the ratio stuff makes my head spin...

A few more pics (basically the place is filthy)...

post-3049-137772194452_thumb.jpg

post-3049-137772194457_thumb.jpg

post-3049-137772194462_thumb.jpg

post-3049-137772194466_thumb.jpg

post-3049-137772194471_thumb.jpg