Sign in to follow this  
cwarrior

House Washing and Paint Advice

Question

I will be washing a home which has white painted wood trim and pink painted hardi plank siding. I am concerned my downstreamed solution of 10% chlorine and simple cherry will fade or streak the pink siding. Someone mentioned to me chlorine may fade reddish colors. If so, what could I use in place of chlorine to remove mildew from the surfaces? Any advice?

Thanks- have a great New Year!

Mark

Shoreline Window Cleaning & Pressure Washing

Miramar Beach, Fl.

5 answers to this question

I will be washing a home which has white painted wood trim and pink painted hardi plank siding. I am concerned my downstreamed solution of 10% chlorine and simple cherry will fade or streak the pink siding. Someone mentioned to me chlorine may fade reddish colors. If so, what could I use in place of chlorine to remove mildew from the surfaces? Any advice?

Thanks- have a great New Year!

Mark

Shoreline Window Cleaning & Pressure Washing

Miramar Beach, Fl.

It might be wise to do a test spot.... better safe, than sorry.

Beth :groovy3:

Seems to me this is why PW and painting go hand in hand...

If periodic maintenance HAD been done more frequently, there would be little chance of mildew getting to a point where it was degenerating the paint. Especially if a housewash product was used with a wax rinse.

Advise client this could occur. As long as you pre-wet everything and apply bottom up and rinse top down there's not much more you can do.

Red tinted paints have easily oxidizable components and could be affected by chlorine.

I agree with Beth, do a test spot first.

Also, Hardi-plank is not molded in color but is painted at the manufacturing facility before shipping.

Take care not to use temps above 150* when washing as it can cause the paint to bubble and peel.

Rod!~