Sign in to follow this  
propressurewashing

Sprinkler haze on bricks??

Question

I've run into a few jobs where the sprinkler systems leave what I assume is calcium and/or hard water stains on brick walls and wood fences. I have a hard time getting rid of it. any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

Daniel Simmons

Pressure Washing Katy Texas Washer Cleaning Service - TX

10 answers to this question

Try the oxalic acid 2-8oz per gal.. Is a usual organic acid used to restore wood and due to process and nature of it being able to remove the dead gray wood likely found underneith it may be yer ticket... A mineral acid like phosphoric acid more likely to eat the actual deposits faster though. Use a little heat/warm water to help the process.

Also, surfactant will help acids soak through deposit layers and get to the dead wood.

you need to know exactly what you're doing with Muriatic (HCL), otherwise it's best to use a less dangerous chemical.

we've been doing acid washing for over two years now.. in the beginning stages I got sick pretty bad, even using a mask.

Home depot sells phosphoric etcher.....im not sure what chem retailers are near you but if u have to you can get it there....its less harch than muratic on brick and masonry...and much more effective on lime and scale. spray on start diluted and work towards stronger....be careful on any pavers of using strong oxylic....as it brightens concrete it will whiten colored pavers

Don't know about phospohoric actually being more effective when pound for pound HCI is quiker and more powerful. What they maybe mixed with or how strong yer willing to mix them can come to play and make one more effetive for ones cleaning methods though...Facts behind how and why one acid is stronger or more suited for certain jobs are touched on link below and it can be seen why mixing acids and surfactants help certain situations.. I always been fond of the clr type products that use the glycolic for example.

Water Well Rehabilitation: A ... - Google Book Search

muratic/hydro is a stronger acid and will devistate pavers....as well as phosphoric does... however i have used both and phosphoric attacks lime and calcium deposits that cuase efflo more effectively and without as much harm to the cream on the surface of the pavers that will cuase aggrigate to be exposed