Sign in to follow this  
APGCINC

Snow Removal, Hot Water Machine, Rocky Mountains

OK, So I have a read what I could here about ice dams, but I do not think that is the same as just plain old heavy snow accumulation on roofing. Or do you always get one with the other?

I have been asked to travel out to Aspen CO with a few of our guys to assist in removing the snow accumulation from the roofs. We do alot of General pressure washing, as well as alot of Gutter Cleaning and Roof washing. So my guys are very comfortable on roofs, but the only way I can see doing this feasible and efficiently is to wash the snow acumulation down from the roofs using a hot water machine from the top down. There will obviously be a thin layer of frozen water on the roof after service is completed, but not the heavy snow. One man on the ground shovel off pation, sidewalks, steps, etc and spread some salt as a courtesy. Would this not work?? If we are comfortable with the ropework etc to work from roofs? I read the bit about breaking windows with hot water, and that makes sence, obviously we would have to avoid all windows with any direct spray. Anybody have any experience with this??

Thanks

Matt

Snow will just absorb the water and make it much heavier with very little in the way of melting or movement.

I've messed around with this on flatwork, not a roof, but I think you'd get the same result.

Yeah, we do some roof snow removal up here (often). Anyway, the most effective way is get a roof rake and remove the 3' - 5' edge of snow along the roof edges. Clear it down to the shingles. If theres an ice dam use the hottest water you can get, or steam. Remove the ice, cash the check.