Sign in to follow this  
TNshaun

Oxy Clean?

Question

Has anyone ever used Oxi Clean as a roof cleaner or for anything else? They said it was the same as most name brands. Stable hydrogen peroxide and a carrier such as soda ash were the ingredients (supposedly) They just let it sit for 30 to 50 minutes and wash off. It's supposed to kill fungus and mildew without the bleach. Any experience??

10 answers to this question

The idea is tossed around.

In liquid form I believe it to be just hydrogen peroxide...

In such branded offerings that come in powder form the hydrogen peroxide involved comes by way of stable sodium percarbonate. Once wetted the hydrogen is produced until gone thus making the water solution time limited for use...

Oxy Clean is not going to be cost effective though is my feeling in liquid or powder form. You be better off buying the percarb in bulk by itself to produce a powder based product or the liquid hydrogen peroxide to make a liquid based product...(disclaimer: high percentage hydrogen peroxide can be dangerous...visit ptstate forum and search that discussion out!).

But anyways, besides cost I don't think you want all the fillers involved in a ready made retail product meant for household use. It has a healthy dose of sodium carbonate as you mention. Yes such does things like wetting, cleaning, etc. but pretty sure it could leave unwanted film if not well rinsed. Such film can help kill mold at some point but you may find better option in chlorine/tsp/borax mixes without thinking peroxide(s) & sodium carbonate. Run a search on 'apple sauce' within this forum and you will learn about tsp encapsulating borax. Tsp is an excellent degreaser and I believe it's residue to be abit more workable then others.

PS--...that said I like the idea of percarb for some things..just not strong enough in most cases for thick roof stuff is what I hear..kill it fast is many a folk motto..

He could have meant the liquid hydro Dan..I threw in the dry version....that said, I wouldn't rely on the percarb..

I mean anyone know the pound for pound killing power of 12%(diluted to about 5%), liquid hydrogen peroxide(safe handling levels), and then the percarb?..after that discussion we then of course got costs between them to discuss.

Ken, Oxi-Clean is 50-70% sodium percarbonate - and the remainder is sodium carbonate - not as good as TSP or Sodium Metasilicate - but a fair cleaner nonetheless. I've added TSP to with good results, when I needed something in a jamb. Heck I made a deck stripper with the stuff! That ain't bad considering there was no caustic involved!

We make our own Oxyclean.

80% sodium percarbonate

10% soda ash (aka sodium carbonate)

10% sodium tripolyphosphate (STPP)

Correction: this is what we use STPP not TSP