Sign in to follow this  
copgib

Inside Trailer Lights

I have been using my 7' x 14' enclosed trailer for sometime now. Everything has worked out well, except I now am working more night jobs and I realized that in order to use my lights in the trailer I had to have my truck running. This is the way the electrical was setup. Well I finally had enough and decided to fix the problem. I went to my local Harbor Freight store and bought a 5-watt solar panel and I had a new battery for this job. I mounted the solar panel on the roof of the trailer and wired it to the battery. I now have lights inside my trailer even if the truck isn't connected up to the trailer. This really helps when I come home in the early morning hours when it is still dark. My shed 42'x45' does not have power to it yet, so this really helps out. After I was done wiring it I checked with a meter to see how the panel was drawing. It seems that during daylight hours inside my shed it still draws enough power to fully charge my battery without even leaving the shed. I just thought I would share this with you. Anyone in this same position, I would recommend you check out small solar panels to help you keep a charge. I mounted the solar panel on top of my enclosed trailer with liquid nails, because I didn't want to drill holes in the roof. If I notice the solar panel coming loose I will use the brackets that came with the solar panel and screw it down. So far so good, man it is great having inside trailer lights anytime I want with or without the truck hooked up! Hugh

I bought one of those shed lights for my shed, they work ok. I have had my solar panel attached to the top of my 14'X7' trailer for about 1 1/2 Months now and even using liquid nails to attached the panel to the roof everything seems to be working great. I now have light inside my trailer whenever I need it. I have 3-inside lights so it is pretty bright inside any time I need lights. I would say this was the best thing I have ever did to improve my night working conditions. Hugh