Sign in to follow this  
TNshaun

sodium hypochlorite

Question

I'm starting out in residential pressure washing and I'm using SH12% and Simple Cherry. I was wondering what people tell there customers when they ask if the cleaner is "environmentally safe." I want to be honest with my customers but I don't want to scare them away. I really don't know how harmful it can be. I would like to be able to tell them everything up front so they feel like they can trust me, bla.. bla.. bla. Sure would appreciate any thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

12 answers to this question

Shaun,

The only "truly" environmentally safe cleaning item would be water. We consider many of our chems environmentally safe for house washing because of high dilution with water during rinsing, and the fact that the runoff goes back to the earth. Let your customers know what you're using in terms they can understand. Show them comparisons to your "detergent" with their laundry soap, or dishwasher detergent if they are concerned. By the way, if you honestly don't know how harmful your chems are, you need to understand how to read a MSDS sheet for your products, and ALWAYS have them with you.

Everyone knows what bleach is. If I use Apple sauce I tell them I will be using a roof cleaner with bleach. If I'm using bleach on a house I tell them I'll use bleach to kill the mold. I've heard it said that bleach turns to salt when it hits the ground. But ??? I do tell them that I haven't seem it kill anything yet. But you never know with them fragile type flowers. Cleaners are easier on the house. That's a good thing ey? If they really don't like bleach Landa Matrix is a good house wash.

I tell them its a building wash mix that has a bleach product in it and that its diluted which makes its safe. We someone is concerned I just down play the bleach aspect of it and say that the bleach is the only effective way to remove the mold & mildew. I never say its 12% or pool chlorine

Just play it down and tell them its a great mix of, detergent/soap, bleach and a rinse aid and it is bio degradable

Once you get established and the people in the community(s) in which you serve, see and hear of your quality of work, the questions will soon subside for the most part, at least that has been my experience. Once you get a good name, people will trust in that alone in most cases. Tell them you're doing what the industry recommends. You can also take note of any dead or dying plants before the job begins and show them to the customer, because some may not even realize they have dying plants or flowers until after they get out and start checking out your work. Also look for damaged siding, broken or cracked windows etc...

Jeff

It's best not to be specific.

Declare that you use a product specifically designed for the purpose, and that it does contain a certain amount of bleach to counteract the mold.

You may describe your pre-soak and rinse strategies.

If client is fussy beyond that point, I'd say it's a red flag...

well, i actually tell my customers the straight out truth and you probably are too but don't realize it. i tell them that my house wash only contains approximately 1% shc, or bleach, and is essential in removing mold and mildew. you also can tell them about the other goodies that you add (example: simple cherry) and how it works with the bleach to remove the spots on walls, ceilings, and windows. if you sound excited and confident about your house wash then it will sell itself.

good luck,

rando

well, i actually tell my customers the straight out truth ...my house wash only contains approximately 1% shc, or bleach

??? 1% bleach and 1% SHC are not the same thing.

1% bleach is .0006% SHC and 1% SHC is .01. One is roughly 16 times stronger than the other.

If client is fussy beyond that point, I'd say it's a red flag...

Rich is right about this.

If someone has issues with Bleach, its safe to say that they've had a problem in the past. Best to ask them point blank what the issue was, and tell them how you're going to approach the work to ensure that specific problem won't occur this time. Beyond that, if they're still concerned it's definitely a red flag.

??? 1% bleach and 1% SHC are not the same thing.

1% bleach is .0006% SHC and 1% SHC is .01. One is roughly 16 times stronger than the other.

let me clarify i hope,

if i were to put my injector hose into 12.5% straight and downsteamed at 10:1 then i would be applying the shc at 1.25% strength. if i put 2.5 gallons of 12.5% and 2.5 gallons of water in a bucket and then downstreamed at 10:1 then my shc% would be at .625%. this is how i determine that my housewash only uses around 1% shc or so. i mentioned bleach since most homeowners have never heard of sodium hypochlorite. and yes, i realize that 1% bleach and 1% shc are not the same thing but thanks for the heads up.

rando

Get yourelf a good 6-8 MP camera (to allow you to zoom VERY close up on a picture that has already been taken clearly) and make sure you take 8-10 pictures of each house you do (with their permission). If they deny me permission I REALLY hesistate to take the job. A couple hundred dollar house wash isn't worth the hassle when they accuse you of something you didn't do. Also it provides you with the nice portfolio that will ultimatly lead you in closing more sales in the future. I usually dillute my SH down to around 0.5%-1.5% depending on the severity of the job. Haven't had a problem yet. Just wet.. rewet. and keep rinsing, and if your still in doubt.. Cover it.