Sign in to follow this  
Whorner1

Cedar shake cleaning and maintenance

Question

OK---Brand new to this site and anxious to learn from all of you"old timers"--that's anybody that has been in business longer then 3 years to me!! I have a nice roof cleaning business and because I get SO MANY inquiries regarding

cedar shake roof cleaning and maintenance, I'm looking for some solid advice to help get me started. Not looking for "don't". I understand that James does a lot of this work and would appreciate any guidance that ANYONE can give me to help me along. Located in South Jersey.

Looking forward to your advice! Thanks, Bill

Not looking to get into the roofing repair--maybe I could hook up with someone nearby to help me in those situations.

4 answers to this question

William,

I've done several shake roofs, and its really a combination of roof washing and wood restoration. I wash with either a sodium percarb or hypochlorite solution then follow with Oxalic rinse. Roof safety is HUGE because cedar is really slick when wet. If you can do it with a lift your in great shape, if not a harness and lifeline is essential if theres any slope whatsoever. A ground man is essential to keep a rinsing hose going at all times. Follow this link for more info :

Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau

Thanks, Mike. Do you find it as profitable as I think it looks? People in my area have NO ALTERNATIVE!! I've established a great reputation with asphalt but I have never had the need to rent a lift--although it has been suggested. As far as a lft is concerned--what should I look for? Could you take me through a typical walkable cedar roof? I appreciate it!!

Thanks, Bill

Bill, Safety is the number one priority with shake roofs. Then there will be a learning curve. Try to start with a small roof or an easy pitch. You can do a allot of damage if you don't take your time.

Thanks Jim--Glad YOU responded. I have lots of questions for you. I did go to Cedar Roof Care & Maintenance--got some good info there!! You don't have to reveal what you use--but what type of products should I use? Do you do pressure washing? Do you make repairs? I know I have a long road ahead-but gotta start someplace. Any information that you think a "novice" should have to start the ball rolling, I would appreciate. Especially products, PSI, equipment etc.. Thanks, again!

Bill Horner

Roof-Washers.com

billhorner@comcast.net