Sign in to follow this  
CCHSNC

Diesel vs. LP

Lp runs fine the problem that we experienced was refills even if close was a pain. 25 gallon tanks are not easy to move so using a spare is not reasonable, topping off your tank before every job is a nuisance vs. carrying a 5 gallon diesel gerry can for back up.

Choose wisely grasshopper!

Another thing to consider is that, at least in my state, LP tanks are not allowed to be filled after dark. I know that David Olson runs LP in his machines, but I think that he has figured ou how to refill them, or else he carries very large LP tanks in his truck.

Scott Stone

I have a LP fired washer. It works nice. Very few burner problems if any. The big pain in the butt is the tank. I had a 100# cylinder to run mine. It is a vertical tank and can't keep up with the demands of running the burner for long periods of time. When you burn propane it is all about surface area for the top of the propane. You only burn the vapors. When you have a cylinder that is about 12" in diameter it doesn't give you much of a surface area for the propane to turn to vapor. If you were to have a horizontal tank you would have a much greater surface area for the propane to turn to vapors. A horizontal tank on a trailer becomes unrealistic. Another problem with getting your propane tanks filled is that if it is on your trailer it has to be strapped down to D.O.T. regulations in order for the propane place to fill it. You could always take the tank off the trailer and then exchange it or have it filled. Dave Olson has the best propane set up. He has big time equipment so he runs it very efficiently. Most small time guys it becomes a big problem. I wish I would have never bought mine. I use it as my back up machine. I have a oil fired machine now. Much easier. The LP burns very clean but it isn't worth the headache.

We have always had Lp. I didn't realize just how clean Lp was until I set up my White truck that burns K1!

In this picture our Red truck is working at the coal mine. We have 2-90 gallon water capacity Lp tanks mounted to the frame rails of the chassis. We have about 140 gallons of usable fuel with these tanks.

We fill them at a local distributor, we also clean their trucks. We have a key to the lot anyway and we have been self-filling for I guess 18 of the 20 years I've been in business. The large tanks provide us with several days running and of course we can refill at anytime.

Notice the large muffler on top of the roof. We were running it at a local hospital (next to patient rooms) for several hours on a Sunday night last month. No noise or fume complaints from anybody.

Dave Olson

Hello beyoungsr,

Thanks for your kind words. You know you really don’t need to envy my equipment. You don’t even need money just good credit! :-) And you can build your own, or buy mine and I’ll build another one! :-)

Seriously, it has taken many years of planning and spending to get to this stage. And even though I’ve assembled it (paid for it) it can still Wow me when I see it out working. It has and still does a terrific job for us.

Thanks again for your kind words about out equipment,

Dave Olson

Dave ,

I myself see you as the P.W. bench mark. A display of what is possible with hard work and dedication.

If I had the money I would love to purchase one of your trucks.

By doing so I would know that it had 25-30 years of service in it's lay out and design. The truck would be everything I would need in the next 25 years!