Sign in to follow this  
rj242

Stripping Olympic stains?

Question

6 answers to this question

OMax aint very much a water cleanup product to me. Very sticky and hard to get off of things...even plastic containers. I clean up spayers and stuff with mineral spirits then follow that up with degreaser when using the stuff.

I like their product and say they about the best longer term product out there. Color takes a couple week to settle in. It sprays through an airless beauitifully without much overspray at all. Low pressure bucketster/surflo/flojet setups not so good. I don't doubt that stripping it would require a boosted mix as it an acrylic alkyd.

redwood_2.jpg

OMax aint very much a water cleanup product to me. Very sticky and hard to get off of things...even plastic containers. I clean up spayers and stuff with mineral spirits then follow that up with degreaser when using the stuff.

I like their product and say they about the best longer term product out there. Color takes a couple week to settle in. It sprays through an airless beauitifully without much overspray at all. Low pressure bucketster/surflo/flojet setups not so good. I don't doubt that stripping it would require a boosted mix as it an acrylic alkyd.

Bingo.

Beth

Assuming Oly Max is the same where you are, it strips quite easily. I have been using OM exclusively for almost 6 years and I stain quite a few decks/fences each year. (Honey Gold is my favorite.) OM is guaranteed for 3 years not to gray on decks (longer for fences) and I have seen this to be accurate. After 2 years, it can be lightly cleaned and after 3 or more, I strip it with downstreamed Roof Magic and neutralize with oxalic OR re-coat.

Around here, OM is oil-based and I have always applied with a pump-up sprayer (usually backpack). No runs, no lap marks.

We to tend to be using a lot of Olympic maxx cedar tone. Its kinda nice to control your inventory and buy it after you know the jobs are booked and on the schedule.

We kinda do the same as John with the maintenance and stripping but use the "remove" product from Sunbrite Supply of Atlanta.

My customers are seeing two years plus before total recoats.

Appling the product by hand and little spraying at all.

Hope this helps!

Tony

Weather it the 3-5 year green label from the Toner catagory or the 5-7 year brown label from the Semi Trans catagory they are oil/water base (alkyd) and likely same contents everywhere. I use the brown label as if I am going to use such a product then I want to use the best. Don't overdo as you'll get the shines. As with most any product if you don't have sprayers setup right you can end up with a mess. Here is some pics of a homeowner attempt/mistake:

turner1.jpg

turner2.jpg

...scary hu?

I used to use Olympic Maximum mostly on fences. It was an easy to use oil based product and gave a nice natural look. In low v.o.c. states it is now water based and I dont use it any more as I feel recoating of acrylics will be a problem.