Sign in to follow this  
JustMe

Sodium Hyperchlorate

Question

I understand that this is the main ing. in bleach and chlorine, but how many of you guys just buy straight SH from a chemical or sanitizing place and how much are you paying?

Oops spelled that wrong in the title.

14 answers to this question

Sodium Hyperchlorate (NaClO3) is different from Sodium Hypochlorite (NaClO).

There are a couple of ways of producing sodium hypochlorite:

- Reacting chlorine with water

- Reacting sodium chloride (salt) with water and an electrical current (electrolysis of brine).

The most common industrial preparation involves passing Chlorine gas through a Sodium Hydroxide solution, the products are Sodium Hypochlorite, Sodium Chloride and water. This reaction is temperature sensitive and must be done at temperatures below room temperature. At higher temperatures Sodium Hyperchlorate is produced instead.

The highest concentration of Sodium Hypochlorite I have seen is 15-18%. At higher concentrations, the hypochlorite decomposes faster, affecting the economics of manufacturing.

6% concentration is more stable than 10% - etc., etc.

Average shelf life of 12% concentration is about 3 months under normal storage conditions. Heat, cold, sunlight and improper containers will shorten its useful life.

Pool supply houses are the best place to obtain the highest concentration and freshest supply (liquid pool shock) ranging from 10-15%. Some places you can still purchase in 55 gallon containers, but for most folks the transfer from large container to small container is time consuming and less than ideal. Transporting larger quantities of it may also require separate licensing and plaque posting, etc.

Sure am so you just be patient :D My plan all along has been to get started at the end of March and should still be right on track so bare with me, I really want to thank you guys for putting up with me, I am an obsesive person about knowing all I can about stuff including safety, years back I had a bad incident with acid when I ran a fleet wash and ever since then I don't mess around..

Paul, thanks for that info, I meant to put hypochlorite in the first one but spelled it wrong, I can't seem to find a pool shock/chlorine dealer around me that still deals in liquids and shipping would kill me so I was pursuing other options.. I might have one more lead for chlorine though so I am going to check that first.. Sounds like the pricing is around 3.50 a gal though.

Again thanks guys for putting up with all my questions. :D

You folks don't have swimming pools out there?

I can get liquid pool shock even at the grocery stores in the summer ($1.89 per gallon of 12-1/4%). No Brag - Just Facts!

With the winter season here we can't due to the shelf life, I wonder if walmart carrys the liquid pool shock when spring hits, anyone know?

Most people around here use the non liquid stuff.

What grocery chains do you folks have?

Winn Dixie, Thriftway, Piggly Wiggly, Kroger

Most carry liquid pool shock in the summer.

Try K-Mart or Meijer some of these places also carry liquid pool shock.

I have seem liquid chlorine at Meijer and K-Mart. Also the ACE hardare chains usually have it.

Some times there are weekly coupons to get cases of four at about $9.00.

Sodium Hypochlorite pH13

Calcium Hypochlorite pH8

Personally, I don't believe you can dissolve enough Calcium Hypochlorite tablets or granules in 1 gallon of water to get you the equivalent of 12-1/4% liquid Sodium Hypochlorite.

(You may not even be able to dissolve the equivalent of 6%.)

The only way you can really tell is thru titration test.

- Even if you could, mixing to me is time consuming (time = money) and

- There is really no cost savings when I compare the cost of granule (concentrations needed) and liquid.

I get my Chlorine from Ace Hardware. Contractors use the Honor system by filling their mobile tanks personally. bulk rate: 00.79 cents a gallon.

Lance