Sign in to follow this  
kubotafan

Pressure Washer Purchase Advice

Question

I have been doing some research before purchasing a pressure washer. I have read that a belt drive is better than direct drive because it runs the pump at a slower speed, and having the pump isolated from the engine also keeps it running cooler. I have been talking with a dealer who prefers a direct drive to a belt drive, but uses a gear box to reduce speed to the pump. I haven't read anything about this setup, so am looking for some advice. Thanks in advance.

9 answers to this question

I run a General TS2021 pump with a gearbox. It works great, but I think I would probably prefer a belt drive. The biggest thing that I notice is the vibration from the engine that the pump endures. I've noticed a few loose bolts from time to time on the gear box. As far as performance, I have not complaints. I have about $1300 invested in a 5.6 GPM machine, which is very cheap.

My buddy has has had is direct drive running strong for 20 yrs now no probs. CAT pump. Honda 13hp cold. Thats what I am using now. But its only 3.5gpm @ 4000psi. It dose eveything I need it to however, 3.5gpm is not a lot. If your doing residential then its fine. But if your doing flat work it takes a lot longer. I am going to get a 5.6gpm @ 4000psi W/ hot water. I think that should be all you need.

Dane

I started out with a 13hp Honda 4000psi/3.5gpm with a cat pump(direct drive). The very first time I used it, the pump went out on me, carried it back to Northern Tool and they replaced it free. I haven't had any more problems with it since, but have sinced more up in size. I now have a 20hp Honda 3500psi/5.6gpm washer (belt driven, General Pump).

The 5.6gpm is definetely the way to go. I can clean twice as fast with this washer. It is hard to believe that 1.9 gallons per minute more, makes that much difference but it does.

Get a good brand with the highest gallons per minute you can afford. The psi isn't that important, but I would want to stay around 3000 or so.

In addition to my 8gpm/3000psi hot water trailer, I still have my first pw - 13hp/4gpm direct drive. I ran that machine for 2 years washing houses drives and decks until I bought my first hot water set-up. I have since replaced the direct drive pump with a gear drive 5.5/3000. With 13hp, I get 5.5 and about 2600 psi. Works great as a backup.

I just bought the John Deer 3800 psi at 4gpm direct drive w/ 13 Honda and it seems to work great. Haven't done much with it yet waiting on weather to break here in NW NC but I'm mainly going to wash houses and some conv. stores I have a line on. I'm fortunate to have a wife that has a great job and is supporting us just fine so I can consintrate on getting this biz going full time and put all of the profit back into it and get a trailor rig in a year or two. I have no overhead except advertising. I'm glad to hear others have started out with a machine like mine and made it.

I run three different machines. One of them is one I bought 15 years ago when I started this business. A direct drive Cat with a 13hp Honda. A few years ago I had to replace the unloader. Very happy with my equiptment.