Sign in to follow this  
jdf

simple green saved the day

Question

28 answers to this question

Guest rfitz

Why not use 6136 from www.pressuretek.com it's less than $7.00 a gallon and you can cut it 4 or 5 to one for gutters, and will remove any and all BLK streaks from gutters, not too mention you will save a ton of cash, but most importantly TIME.... You wont find a better cleaner on the market, I would bet cash on that...

Hope this helps your Biz......

I love Simple Green as a product to keep on the truck.

Jim,

You and I agree on this one, LOL! I also wanted to take the time to Congratulate you on the award you won from the PWNA Convention. I think what you are doing is a great thing and I enjoyed reading and knowing what you are doing. I wish you could have been there in person. Great job!

Rob,

My understanding is that 6136 is $9.75 per gallon (plus shipping) if purchased in 5 gallon size.

As with all chemicals you use, make sure you read the MSDS for appropriate safety precautions and emergency care.

6136 contains Hazardous Ingredients:

Potassium Hydroxide and

Nitrilotriacetic Acid, Trisodium Salt - considered a carcinogen, which may possibly cause malignant tumours of the urinary system (kidney, ureter and bladder).

I'm in no way implying that you shouldn't use the product - just make sure you use appropriate personnel protection while using it.

Sounds like potent stuff!!!! Whenever I see something that's a known carcinogen, I do my best to stay away from it.

Hey Paul, are the any carcinogens in GZ?

Regarding Simple Green....it has worked well for me cleaning vinyl awnings. It's also great for cleaning up tools after using latex based products.

I always have SG in my trailers.

Guest rfitz

They know for a fact, under arm deodarant, causes tumors and cancers of all types, so will you stop using that as well...? I think not... Anyway, if you are going to be in the PW biz, you must accept the fact you WILL always be handling dangerous and harmful materials, ANY And ALL, otherwise, they would not work, dont let anyone BS you that is a fact, you either accept that risk going into the biz or you lock yourself in a bubble, and dont touch anything in this world that is man made, because most believe it or not, has some side effeccts, Like Beef, colon cancer, sugar- teeth decay, beer-Liver damage, etc.. I think you get the point, thats why they make child locks on cabinets that you keep your little kids away from your household cleaners, why..? they are poison

Guest rfitz

Shipping is incredibly cheap, and you will still save money, brcause of the dilution ratio's, always order in 55 gallon drums, that way your cost is way way cheap, cheaper than anything you can buy locally, or on the open market

and nothing is even near as effective

Tony

The two Hazardous components that are required to be listed in GZ are: Sodium Hydroxide and Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether

Neither component is considered to be carcinogenic.

Rob,

I prefer tooth decay over possible liver cancer.

If YOU expose yourself to hazardous and carcinogenic chemicals without recognizing risks and taking appropriate actions to protect yourself that's one thing. IT'S YOUR LIFE. However, if you have employees, you better make them aware of the MSDS sheets, have them read and make sure they understand, and then protect them with utmost care when using any and all hazardous chemicals on the job. You are no longer gambling with your life - now you are playing Russian Roulette with someone else's life. Be a responsible employer.

Again for your sake ROB, I'll repeat what I said earlier:

"I'm in no way implying that you shouldn't use the product - just make sure you use appropriate personnel protection while using it."

"Safety First and Make IT Last!"

Guest rfitz

Sooner or later every person employed from every level of service will be sueing their employers, for something or another, now people are sueing Mcdonalds for heart disease and being obese, etc.. When will it stop..?

as an employer, my employee's are labeled sub contractors, and must carry the appropriate protection, insurance etc.. I am in no way shape or form liable for anything that happens to them while they perform work for my customers,

I checked with the IRS on this, and consulted with both my lawyers and CPA

and I am in no way shape or form liable, I make them read and sign a 4 page document stating this, and the possible dangers invloved with our occupation

kind of like a pre-nup for a marriage if you will, therefore they are working under their own risk, as it should be with subs, fair or not, we have to protect our assets from all the hungry lawyers in this country, it is a shame but this is a business.. and I do take the neccessary steps...

Rob,

"as an employer, my employee's are labeled sub contractors, and must carry the appropriate protection, insurance etc.. I am in no way shape or form liable for anything that happens to them while they perform work for my customers,.."

If they are subs, they are not your employees. If they are your employees, they can't be your subs.

Are you telling your subs what chemicals to use on the job?

Are you supplying the chemicals for your subs?

Do they have a choice on what chemicals to use?

Are you supplying their equipment?

Are you providing safety training?

Are you providing MSDS to your subs? (May need to find someone that publishes the MSDS sheets in Spanish.)

"I am in no way shape or form liable for anything that happens to them while they perform work for my customers, I checked with the IRS on this, and consulted with both my lawyers and CPA..."

If your lawyer told you this, you may want to have him sign a document that states he will assume all responsibility for your subs and employees.

IRS will not take responsibility for any incorrect information they give you. (They will tell you this without batting an eye.)

I doubt very much if most CPA's have any clues as to MSDS and most other safety requirements unless they have worked for a large corporation and have gone thru training.

The bottom line is that it's NOT a matter of CYA against lawsuits, but being a responsible employer or contractor that informs and protects your subs from health risks and places safety on top of their list. No matter how many lawyers, CPA's, contracts you have, they will not protect you if you act irresponsibly with employees or sub-contractors (as it relates to safety).

P.S.: A bad contract is invalid no matter how many people sign it and how many lawyers approve it. I would highly suggest you find an attorney that provides good advice vs. bad contracts.

hey thank's for the help ... i didn't mean to start a debate ..i think you should always have all the info. on the chem's that you use and tell the folk's around about it the danger of it as i worked the oilfield for 18 yr's and was around some bad stuff from acid to hand soap .....david

The way I see it, the topic regarded Simple Green. Someone pointed out another chem that can accomplish the same task.

It was then pointed out that some chems are significantly more toxic than others.

I stick to my belief in using the least toxic approach to get a job done. Of course that's my .02.

The ability to make educated choices come from being well informed. The choices of: to use or not use a product or what personnel protection to have when working with the chemicals.

It's unfortunate, but some folks just don't care.

To Clarify this issue check out this:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99921,00.html

ALSO,

1099s and Taxes

When a person is paid on the form, 1099-misc, all money earned by the individual is paid on an untaxed basis. It is then the responsibility of the individual to file and pay the appropriate taxes. These taxes can be owed to Federal, State and Local governments. Workers' compensation and unemployment issues also must be addressed independently.

W-2s and Taxes

When a person is paid on the form W-2, the employer automatically withholds and pays all of the necessary employee income taxes as required by the IRS. These taxes include: Federal Income Tax, State Income Tax, and FICA (Social Security and Medicare). In addition, the employer will pay all of the necessary employer taxes. These taxes include: FICA (Social Security and Medicare), FUTA (Federal Unemployment Tax), and SUI (State Unemployment Tax).

The IRS and Taxes

In recent years, the IRS has begun to realize the large sums of potential tax revenue they are losing due to misclassified 1099 independent contractors who should legally be W-2 employees. When a company pays a contractor on a 1099-misc form, they avoid the following: federal and state tax withholdings, deposits and reports, the employer’s share of Social Security and Medicare taxes, state and federal unemployment insurance premiums, state disability insurance premiums, Workers’ Compensation costs, fringe benefits, vicarious liability for employee negligence, and EEOC regulations. The IRS estimates that it loses between $4 to $20 billion per year in unpaid taxes as a result of this misclassification problem. Understandably, the IRS has made it a priority to investigate 1099-misc forms that are turned in at the end of the tax year. The IRS is continually conducting audits to determine whether or not contractors are being properly classified.

as an employer, my employee's are labeled sub contractors, and must carry the appropriate protection, insurance etc.. I am in no way shape or form liable for anything that happens to them while they perform work for my customers,

Uh Rob, The sub contractors your referring to just became your employees. I'd be careful with any comments regarding them as anything other than Sub contractors. We all know what a pain in the as the IRS can be and the state boards can be difficult also.

Just flippantly calling them your employess may stand up in court if it ever happens. Expecially as close as labor laws can be examined.

Where can you get simple green from? I've heard of it numerous times but I've never tried it out yet. I'm always looking for the best chemical that can work on numerous applications without killing me, the guys that work for me, or the customers plants.

Guest rfitz

With regards to employees or sub contractors, at least those of us who are using them in any way shape or form, is much better than the big corporations like Walmart, AT&T, our Government, our IRS, and all the rest

that are now having customer service type jobs done in countries like India for 5%-10% per hour than what american workers were making, when they were performing these jobs, all I can say, is unless we put restrictions on big companies, and our government from using these other countries to perform these former american jobs , we may not have to worry about employing anyone, or sub contracting out work, the middle class is disapearing, which is our bread and butter, so you all better stand up and contact your state representative and start complaining about real issues, that will affect your children, grand children etc.. When our own government out sources to countries that put americans out of work, and Im talking millions of jobs per year, That is what organizations like the IRS should be investigating, not the small biz guy that, pours tons of money into the good old USA everyday...