Sign in to follow this  
alvisishere

Methods on reaching high gutters to clean?

Question

For those of you that use a gutter cleaner to remove black streaks off gutters using the spray on and rinse method....How do you reach the gutters??

What I use recommends mixing it 3:1 and put in pump sprayer and apply to gutter and rinse off.

That works well if I can get the reach to gutter with the pump up sprayer from the ground...however I have not found a easy way to apply it to 2 or more stories especially on a windy day.

If you x-jet seems like you waste more that you use, if you use the pump spray method.

I like the spray pump method....I just wish it came with a 12 ft extension!

How do you guys reach the high gutters working from the ground??

34 answers to this question

I know you're not looking for the ladder answer, but when seated properly and with the use of a stabilizer, ladders are plenty safe. It's hard to reach two stories in a manageable way without the use of a ladder. Almost any application method from the ground is not gonna be efficient. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure.

Jeff

For those of you that use a gutter cleaner to remove black streaks off gutters using the spray on and rinse method....How do you reach the gutters??

Adrian has a little helicopter for sale. I'm sure you could reach them with that. lol

Dane

When I need to reach the 2nd story gutters I will grab a 5'er, brsuh and telescoping pole. Just make sure you charge accordingly for the streak free gutters!

has any one tried to make an 1/4 aluminum tube extension? cut hoses on spray wand install quick connects hook back up and pump up or better yet use a battery power sprayer?

maybe even using the deckster....ummmm it might work!!!

It will be to flimsy if you try and make it very long.

Jeff

I use a alumium 1/4'" tubing 16' most of the time even when I wash ranch homes,

cover more ground while standing it one spot and you can use the "flimsy" to your advantage once you get used to it.

Sounds like you already know what you're doing. Although I don't see how 16' of 1/4" aluminum tubing has enough backbone to to do anything with any accuracy at all. Maybe I am picturing it wrong. But if that works for you then just do that. I use ladders myself, more manageable and makes for more overall ease.

Jeff

Sounds like you already know what you're doing. Although I don't see how 16' of 1/4" aluminum tubing has enough backbone to to do anything with any accuracy at all. Maybe I am picturing it wrong. But if that works for you then just do that. I use ladders myself, more manageable and makes for more overall ease.

Jeff

Just courious Jeff

what type of extensions do you use mostly?

I use ladders and go up the ladder with a regular 15" wand, the cleaner tank is stationary in my van and the cleaner is applied with a roller pump. I take a mr. Longarm brush up the ladder with me and scrub the siding and gutters. Then I come down and rinse from the ground, the extension I use on my wand is a 6 ft. heavy walled aluminum, (easy to handle after 11 years of using it). Then I move on to he next spot. This makes the best job and it is alot faster than you would think. It also set the bar high enough that no one else can stay in business very long in my area, simply because I'm doing ALOT more detailed work than anyone else is willing to do. The use of ladders is not asinine, as I think alot of people think,..they're made for work and made to make work easier, which they do when used properly. I also don't DS or x-jet anything, not detailed enough for me. I like to apply with a separate sprayer.

Jeff

I use ladders and go up the ladder with a regular 15" wand, the cleaner tank is stationary in my van and the cleaner is applied with a roller pump. I take a mr. Longarm brush up the ladder with me and scrub the siding and gutters. Then I come down and rinse from the ground, the extension I use on my wand is a 6 ft. heavy walled aluminum, (easy to handle after 11 years of using it). Then I move on to he next spot. This makes the best job and it is a lot faster than you would think. It also set the bar high enough that no one else can stay in business very long in my area, simply because I'm doing ALOT more detailed work than anyone else is willing to do. The use of ladders is not asinine, as I think a lot of people think,..they're made for work and made to make work easier, which they do when used properly. I also don't DS or x-jet anything, not detailed enough for me. I like to apply with a separate sprayer.

Jeff

Jeff I would like to ask more questions about your tecknic, If you pm your number I will call you if that's all right

I use a 16' extension pole with a brush to get the gutters. I tell my customers that I only brush gutters that I can reach from the ground with the extension. I x-jet higher levels. They don't come as clean but they are not as visible either.

If they want the higher levels brushed I might use a 10' step ladder and the x-pole. Sometimes you just have to break out a ladder and climb up there or if there is a porch, get on the roof.

I use an 18' extension pole with the screw-on brush and just dip the brush in the chemicals... it will reach almost any 2nd story, except some of the old victorians that are like 28' up. Brush 'em on and let it sit for minute or so and rinse with a low pressure zero nozzle.

you can always add on a variable degree cone tip on the end of your wand whatever length. My deckster shoots about 30 ft high. Sun brite supply sells them for about 20.00 bucks. they are brass and hold up pretty good. i have been using the same one for about 3 years now for everything from strippers to wax. the good thing is you can have a wide spray pattern or a laser beam. I rarely use a ladder for this type of work except for hard angles. they work great. just my .02

take it or leave it.

you can always add on a variable degree cone tip on the end of your wand whatever length. My deckster shoots about 30 ft high. Sun brite supply sells them for about 20.00 bucks. they are brass and hold up pretty good. i have been using the same one for about 3 years now for everything from strippers to wax. the good thing is you can have a wide spray pattern or a laser beam. I rarely use a ladder for this type of work except for hard angles. they work great. just my .02

take it or leave it.

Are they much waste using the deckster, I know when I spray ready seal I can go thru a 5 before I know it.

I have the deckster, but I have not used it to apply gutter soap,

I recken you have to wheel it around but its easier than moving a ladder every 7 ft or so......well I guess thats why they pay us the "Big Bucks"

Sometimes I will use a 100 footer and not have to drag the deckster as often, but the rolling up of the hose is the real hassle. I usu. just keep the 50 and wheel the deckster. Lesser evil I guess. But if you have the nozzle tuned (dialed whatever) down to the laser beam it stays pretty solid pattern up to around 25 ft or so. Like most tips, it will break up the higher you shoot.

.... this is just me and not gospel, I just don't like the ladders unless I absolutely need it. Most cases I am ok w/o it. Traci at sunbrite can set you up with one, unless you know where to get one.

Once I found out about this tip I abandoned all the multiples I had to carry around. Just the one is almost a cure all for just about any application.

i bought the 24ft telescopic from lowes (i think) and put a brush on the end. i use an oil change bucket to hold my green stuff or whatever i'm using at the time and then dip my brush in and apply to the gutters. i rinse with the 0030 or xjet and watch them shine. here's a pic of one i did using the telescopic. yes, it was a pita but it paid well. i just added a pic of the pail i use for the gutter cleaner. i like the spout so i can pour the unused gutter cleaner into a container.

rando

post-1647-137772198693_thumb.jpg

post-1647-137772198702_thumb.jpg

Nice rig Randy! :winking: 24 footer works great and just takes a few minutes. I use Simple Green Automotive, which I buy in 5 gal jugs (not any less expensive, but better than carrying around 1 gal jugs). I keep a 5 gal pail/lid just for gutters.

P.S. Cleaning gutters in cold weather can be frustrating. It seams that the lower (below 60*) the temp, the harder the stains are to remove. I have found that boosting my SG with Roof Magic (stripper) works well. (Always be careful not to remove the finish. If the brush starts to turn white, you are removing finish!)

has any one tried to make an 1/4 aluminum tube extension? cut hoses on spray wand install quick connects hook back up and pump up or better yet use a battery power sprayer?

maybe even using the deckster....ummmm it might work!!!

i use a pumptec pump i think its the same one thats used on the

deckster, 200 psi @ 1 gpm. have a dedicated hose reel with 200ft

of 3/8" hose. made a couple of lances one 4ft and one 12 ft with

qc's that hold a 40 degree nozze for low gutters and the 12ft lance

uses a cat pro chem nozzle that sprays 30 ft. for the high ones.

i also have a 30 ft extension pole for when i have to brush.

this set up also doubles as a stain sprayer.

works great.

i use a pumptec pump i think its the same one thats used on the

deckster, 200 psi @ 1 gpm. have a dedicated hose reel with 200ft

of 3/8" hose. made a couple of lances one 4ft and one 12 ft with

qc's that hold a 40 degree nozze for low gutters and the 12ft lance

uses a cat pro chem nozzle that sprays 30 ft. for the high ones.

i also have a 30 ft extension pole for when i have to brush.

this set up also doubles as a stain sprayer.

works great.

I am assuming you have a small chemical tank that is decated to gutter cleaner and set up to unroll hose around house to spay gutters...Do you have to flush your system to remove Chems from pump and hose...how do you have that set up?

I am assuming you have a small chemical tank that is decated to gutter cleaner and set up to unroll hose around house to spay gutters...Do you have to flush your system to remove Chems from pump and hose...how do you have that set up?

i have a 12 gal tank mounted in a van, the pump and hose reel

are fix mounted in the van too, the only draw back is having to pull a 2nd hose out but its not too bad.

i havent ever rinsed out the pump it has had chem in it now for

2 years no probs at all with the pump.

Yea, pumptec's run forever. Although they are pricey to replace I have heard.

I have yet to replace mine after a million or so uses. I love my Deckster.

Wow! 2 years!!! I thought you needed to flush the deckster out if you used to cleaners for the gutters!!