Sign in to follow this  
Doug Dahlke

Wierd Vinyl

Question

I did a house today that had a strange fade pattern in the vinyl on one side of the house. I saw the same thing on one house last year. The house today had blocks about six feet high and three to four feet wide where it has faded differently. Several blocks running along the side of the house with straight lines between the blocks. What would cause this and is there any way to remove it?

4 answers to this question

Doug, One idea. The fading was probably caused by something blocking the sun from it over a period of time? You cannot remove it. It will fade even on it's own. Flood's Restora may be used, If it is not light siding and cleaned properly. This may balance the siding. I would only do one side and test an area before. This could be a problem if done improper or on light siding. Hope this helps. Thank You.

I've seen strange patterns before too. For me they followed the stud lines of the framing.

My assumption is the studs or walls in some way effects either the condensation on the home exterior or the temperature in those spots.

This either increases or slows down the oxidation in those spots.

I say condensation, because when I've seen it it's been early morning and the home is covered in dew except along those spots.

In the picture they are verticle lines above the shadows.

post-498-137772198849_thumb.jpg

I've seen strange patterns before too. For me they followed the stud lines of the framing.

My assumption is the studs or walls in some way effects either the condensation on the home exterior or the temperature in those spots.

This either increases or slows down the oxidation in those spots.

I say condensation, because when I've seen it it's been early morning and the home is covered in dew except along those spots.

In the picture they are verticle lines above the shadows.

Yup the studs most likely, thats what it sound like he's talking about. See it often in older or real cheap vinyl

I wish I had some pics of this but they may not show up well in a photo. It almost looks like someone laid 4 x 8 sheets of plywood on end and left them up against the house for a few years.

Can you still buy Restora? I thought when Flood was bought out they discontinued the product.

Thanks for all the replies. The worst thing about this is I quoted this house a few weeks ago when it was dark out. I didn't see these spots until I was washing the house and that was the last side I did. If I had known they were there I would have told the homeowner they would probably not go away with a house wash.