Sign in to follow this  
Mike Williamson

Pine Straw Removal

Question

I've been asked to bid on a job pressure cleaning a pool deck, walkways, and to remove pine straw from the screened pool enclosure. The problem is, there are many many pieces of pine straw hanging through the screen...you can't just blow them off from the roof or from the ground. I'm concerned about using the pressure washer to remove them and damaging the screen, but that is how the lady says the guy who used to do it did it.

The problem with removing these pieces by hand is that the pool, naturally, is right in the middle of the screened enclosure and so I would not be able to use a ladder in this area, without placing boards across the pool and placing the ladder on them...not my favorite idea.

Have any of you Florida guy run into this, and if so, what was your solution?

6 answers to this question

Where is the last guy? Maybe in hiding when she called. If you were to go on the roof of the house, could you use a pool pole with the brush (nylon, not the steel one) attachment to sweep them off?

You also may be able to do this from the inside to break off the ones that stick through.

I use the my washer.. Simply I use the 45 degree tip and blow what I can off... What stays..Stays.. I try to stay about 8 inches away from the screen. With a 4000 psi machine, I have not made any holes in a screen.

If you want more detail you can call me at 321.377.0113

Well, the problem is, she wants it ALL gone. The guy she used to have doing it is getting out, and she says he has always been able to get it all out of the screening.

Yeah, it may be a pain, but I told her I'd do it, so I will. I've gotten several good pointers from folks, and we'll get it done one way or the other.

Thanks!

Well, did the job and it came out great, quicker than I thought it would. I used a 25 degree tip to blow all the loose leaves/needles off, and then used a zero degree 40 (NOT 4.0) tip to remove the needles that were hanging through the screen. Took about two hours to do a 2000 sq. ft. screen enclosure (including blowing the house roof and gutters clean.).

Gav:

You don't mean to imply that a customer would lie to me, do you???