Sign in to follow this  
Kory

Time to get my sales hat on!

Question

It's time to tweek my sales pitch. I had 300 fliers handed out in a neighborhood last week. Since then I have recieved about 10 calls for quotes. I have quoted all of them and only one signed up on the spot. I usually close 90%. This is unusual for me but I keep hearing "I am getting a couple other quotes".

Are you guys getting this too?

15 answers to this question

Yes, I am getting it for the past two years. Sometimes I am lower than the first guy and still get the i am getting more quotes language. I feel like if you are shopping price then do not waste my time. I am not heinz ketchup that you compare grocery store to grocery store. That brand is the same across the board. Painters and PW vary contractor to contractor.

hope you have some money in the bank .Times are getting bad many of us do not want to say it but I think pressure washing is not going to be a must have for some .I now know of ten so that have lost there jobs.So many homes are in the market.banks are at huge loss.We can blame are fall on MR.Bush

just look at the American Dollar what is it worth..Gas all time high.Food price through the roof..No jobs..We need some help right here at home

I feel you bro on the jobs I have been all around and got a hand full of them

Oh bush is going all the way to the bank with a pocket full of money

Just like our troops what do they get when they come home from the 12 bil a day war...With no use of a arm or legs nothing but maybe 300 a month and know one will hire them...I just hope who ever gets in office has a plan to take care of us for once ..so sorry for going on but some will just not open there eyes... take .Congress This is how they roll so today on the board were not going to talk about how to help the US but we are going to talk about Barry Bonds and how he shot up..who gives a crap..one more thing I luv sports in all but why the hell do they have to pay A-ROD 240 MIL TO HIT A BALL ...BULL OR A MOVIE STARE MILLIONS..SORRY THIS HAS BEEN ON MY MIND FOR A FEW WEEKS I JUST VENTED..LOTS MORE BUT I WILL STOP...

I am a conservative as far as politics go, but I have always said we need to take care of ourselves first. Now I agree with going ahead and creaming whoever plotted and supported the terrorist attack. I think anyone in America who ris to cover it up should be tried and hung for treason. I also think that when our men and women go and do a job for us they do so under full knowledge that when they signed up it was going to be almost a gimmie with todays world. We however need to take cae of these people to the full extent of our abilities. We need to stop supporting this crap we do worldwide to try and create good will. What I care about is the wellbeing of our people and our economy and our safety.

Now do not get me wrong. If it directly affects us, then do something about it, but do not go over budget to do so to the extent our way of life collapses. I know those Islamic extremist would love to convert us, make us slaves or kill us. Its a known fact that the Christian community and others have known for years. They have to be stopped and punished, but we have to be realistic with not allowing our politicians use our constitution as an engine of oppression. No matter what side of the political isle you sway to there is this wrecklessness.

It's time to tweek my sales pitch. I had 300 fliers handed out in a neighborhood last week. Since then I have recieved about 10 calls for quotes. I have quoted all of them and only one signed up on the spot. I usually close 90%. This is unusual for me but I keep hearing "I am getting a couple other quotes".

Wow.....You're starting to sound like someone else I know. I thought you said something different on the phone the other day.

:lgbugeyes

Im not complaining Im just seeing if others are getting the "Quote" shoppers. I think people are getting smarter with there money or at least trying to be.

After all not everyone can afford to add another whole house onto there existing one.

Who's that sound like Buuddaaay......

I try to weed the price shoppers out before I go to do the bid. "Are you looking for the lowest price or the best service?" We still give the estimate 90% of the time and close a lot of them, although the phone is not ringing off the hook.

There are so many guys around that will do our $300 house wash for $100 I don't want to waste my time bidding against them.

And Don, thanks for the referral the other day, I talked to him yesterday and he will confirm by the weekend. Easy job and he sounds like a nice guy. Always good talkin to ya.

I placed a fallow up call to one of my quotes from last week. She hired the other guy he charged her $270 for a 3k sq ft shingle roof, Cleaned her house, Pool cage, and Drive all for $270..... Wtf

I placed a fallow up call to one of my quotes from last week. She hired the other guy he charged her $270 for a 3k sq ft shingle roof, Cleaned her house, Pool cage, and Drive all for $270..... Wtf

Sounds like a volume dealer ! Wal Mart Complete House Wash

I have had a few people tell me they were getting other bids. Some of those I lost but several people have called me back to do the work and I know in this area there are many who work for much less than I do.

I think people are getting a little tighter with their money but most people know the difference between price and value. Customers look at price but for some out there that doesn't necessarily mean they use the cheapest service.

I have learned over the years early in the year customers allways get quotes they are the cheap people hoping you are cash poor from the winter dont EVER EVER cave learn how to perform at 50% quicker rate than everyone else, start buy throwing the x jet buckets away (learn how to run direct)and stop talking to the customer for 20 minutes before every job that would cost me at 4 jobs a day for 180 days of work=$36,000 for talking not everyone thinks like I do I know, but allso raise your price to 10% more than the most used guy in the hood. If talking cost you that much just think what else is costing you, and cut it out its not how many jobs you do its how much dough you keep. allways buy direct and fix your own equipment than you wont have to work so cheap to make your self think your busy. PROFITS ARE THE KEY

To me it sounds like a closing issue. Sorry to be so blunt. You have not sold them on what service you can provide them that another company cannot. In their mind your company is equal to every joe blow company out there. And their only way to differentiate you between them is price. Your/Company appearance, quality of service, punctualitity, peace of mind that you are not a fly by nighter have to be conveyed to the customer to where they know they don't have an option but to use you. Why would they want to waste their time meeting with others if you informed them on that your company is everything they have been looking for.

I'm not saying I'm hot stuff and never get the I'm gonna look some more people but not that many. There is some that only price is on their mind. I figure those customers are not who I want anyways.

Sorry. didn't read the "I need to tweak my sales pitch" title. That's exactly what needs to be done. I constantly read sales books to try to improve myself. I believe with a right sales "pitch" anything at whatever price can be sold. A true salesamn is able to spot the want and need in a person and be able to and put them at ease that you are able to provide it.

I apologize if I am ranting on stuff that most know. I hear so much of this " its the economy " going on on most sites and companies that I talk to. I feel no matter what the economy is doing there is still need for our service. It is up to you to educate them why they are getting a good deal by using you no matter the price.

OK. I'm done. Ill go back to lurking and reading everybodies great and informative posts.

Thanks for the input! I do inform customers as to why I am the better choice. I direct them to my website and show them before & afters. I also inform them I am insured. I answer any questions and inform them of the process. I have spoke to many lost sales and the key is price mainly 1/2 price. It seems like every year the prices are getting lower & lower.