Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

neutraliztion before or after rinsing?

Question

When I was trained to use Diedrich paint stripping products on homes to remove 8+ layers of paint - after a 24 hour dwell period, instead of using 1000psi to remove the paint with a pressure washer - we were first taught to use their oxalic acid product and distribute over the entire home all over the stripper, to neutralize before rinsing. Would this make sense in deck stripping at all? perhaps a large deck - where you want the 'stripping' action to cease in certain spots - so allowing you more time to rinse off other parts of a deck. I know this had something to do with occupation safety - and you didn't want 'caustics' being forced into the pores of the wood when using the pressure washer. Of coure a second application of acid was applied to the bare wood - after all the paint was removed.

5 answers to this question

If your doing an oil I would want the rinsing to happen while the stain was still gelled up. Wouldn't neutralizing take away that slimy action and in effect allow the stain to sit back on the wood?

Sometimes the stripper will sit on the surface of a multiple layer or acrylic containing coating. After a quick pressure wash, there may still be some residual coating and that remaining stripper is just enough to continue emulsification. If that makes sense.

I have The spec book for Diedrich and they call for neutralizing after the multi layers are removed (full strength ) and again in 24hr's with a diluted solution of neutralizor due to the strength of the stripper. Then test the ph of the wood.

I used a very strong stripper last year and had a terrible time getting rid of tannins on redwood. I used two different stripppers . The strong one I used for very thick area's of solid stain which worked great,but i couldn't get rid of the tannins.

How is the 'Brass' city these days Jim? From what I remember - Diedrich wanted to 'neutralize' the stripper before we pressure washed it off - basically stop it's stripping action - and any solution going into the ground is just neutralized 'salts'. So no effect on the environment - I thought that was how they stayed within osha regulations as biodegradable.