Sign in to follow this  
charlie

Sealwize - Sealmaxx

Question

11 answers to this question

Hey neighbor,

SealWIZE, sealMAXX, whatever.... Most consumers are aware that anything that guarantees something longer than the natural lifespan of the structure that it's applied to, is a sham. I look at it as an opportunity to educate people about the reality of maintenance. Just remember the old adage "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". As for competition, they're nothing to worry about.

Hey neighbor,

SealWIZE, sealMAXX, whatever.... Most consumers are aware that anything that guarantees something longer than the natural lifespan of the structure that it's applied to, is a sham. I look at it as an opportunity to educate people about the reality of maintenance. Just remember the old adage "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". As for competition, they're nothing to worry about.

SealMaxx uses Seal-It out of Canada

Sealwize uses a product out of Colorado called Zerovac, I think.

The products actually will petrify and prevent rot. They will not do anything for UV discoloration or general dirt, which is the main reasons people do their decks.

The problem is false marketing made by Sealmaxx and Sealwize, and whoevere else. They exploit a product for its attributes(rotting and decay) and lie to the consumer by not explaining (thoroughly) that you will still need to stain with a top coat like Wood Tux or TWP if you want the wood to look good.

I guess it's just good old fashioned 'bait 'n switch' as Scott pointed out. They talk about the attributes that it performs well - petrifying and preventing rot as the 'bait'. And the switch is that you put this stuff on your deck thinking there will be no maintenance involved.

I would prefure full disclosure..

For some folks or situations it may be a good idea for the producers to incorporate a sufficient solution to the lack of staining/uv protection. Problem maybe that their perticular version of these densifiers/hardeners/petrifiers/silica or lithium does not allow it to get through standard protection pigments/uv blockers to where it would be deep enough for their liking and give them ability to warrant it's stated abilities so long.

The only two solutions I dreamed up that might end up working is along the lines of putting the pigments(non-japan type) in water or acetone carrier similar to methods used on concrete during polishing procedures (a no coat/finishless outcome). Challenges there with the latter involve issues of whether people want to be putting straight acetone on wood or not and issues of powder dyes not being uv stable for exterior applications. On the water versions I am unsure but I believe the few water based concrete products marketed as being stain, but known to Not be in acrylic carrier, actually are almost same as a dye containing likely the same dry colorant/pigment as the acetone versions....

Btw, Difference between a stain and dye being that in one pigments are particles being redeposited at same size out of carrier and the other being disolved particles being aplied and then becomeing a size the surface pourousity will allow for. These densifiers work the same way in that they take up the free space like at a cellular level and so the wood should no longer act as a living sponge. Hence the fair term of calling it petrified.

Way I see it these Seal products would have to give up a hefty amount of their penetration or concentration goals in order for the wood to be first dyed and for them to entertain the solution may not be logical if not sacraficial to their whole business plan setup and warranty stuff..

It appears Sealmaxx is now out of business.... all phone lines on their corporate site have been disconnected :) Didn't see that coming now did ya