Sign in to follow this  
dperrin

Acrylic Solid Stain - Should I Do It?

Question

Looked at a deck today. It was badly worn and peeling in many places. My main concern is it was stained with an acrylic solid stain and many areas are still intact. I have only stripped simi trans oil based decks so far. Is it wise to take this on with our experience??? Can HD80 handle this stain? I have attached pics. I will only be stripping the top deck portion the rest (stair case, lattice work, supports) will be pressure washed only.

Thanks.

post-3054-137772201337_thumb.jpg

post-3054-137772201425_thumb.jpg

post-3054-137772201458_thumb.jpg

15 answers to this question

Looks like it ready to give up the ghost. Water and uv seems to have worked some magic already on it..go for it.

Worst comes to worst ya can always roll some jasco on or cover the hydroxides overnight with plastic. It should low pressure right on off the horizontals..verticles may give a little trouble on the low exposure sides.

Depends what you want to do. If you want to remove it - you can coat the whole deck with liquid laundry detergent just before the onset of winter - and let it sit like that for a few months. Or pressure wash it clean - go to Mad Dog Primer and call them up and ask for the improved primer for deck surfaces - coat the whole deck - repaint - and it will last 7+ years.

Looks like it ready to give up the ghost. Water and uv seems to have worked some magic already on it..go for it.

Worst comes to worst ya can always roll some jasco on or cover the hydroxides overnight with plastic. It should low pressure right on off the horizontals..verticles may give a little trouble on the low exposure sides.

Where do you get this 'jasco' and what is the full name? Is it stronger than HD80 or what makes it better? Thanks

Jasco type strippers are for sure stronger than HD80 but they gonna cost ya more..Is methylene chloride and gelled so that it will stick to verticles.

Any store/big box store will have it for around $30 (epoxy remover version). If you use make sure to wear eye and skin protection and plan on throw away brushes.

Jasco type strippers are for sure stronger than HD80 but they gonna cost ya more..Is methylene chloride and gelled so that it will stick to verticles.

Any store/big box store will have it for around $30 (epoxy remover version). If you use make sure to wear eye and skin protection and plan on throw away brushes.

A couple more questions please....

1. $30, is that a gallon?

2. About how much do you think would be needed for a 21x16 deck with spindles.

3. Would I use it on the deck floor as well as spindles or just use HD80 on the floor.

4. How long should it sit, over night covered with plastic as I have heard some say or just an hour or two.

5. Do you just pressure wash as usuall once it has sat long enough

Many thanks for any suggestions.

What is the customer wanting with this deck? You said you were only going to do the top of the deck, no staircase, or supports? I was always taught once you have a solid put on a deck, you have to stay with a solid cause you cant get it all off. Unless of course, you want to spend all your profit and time on stripping with methylene chloride, or HD80 with booster. Im sure it can be done, but I would never try it.

My advice, strip what you can with HD80, then put on another solid. If the customer wants a semi transparent stain, I would suggest tearing down the deck and rebuilding a new one.

Sorry guy... I should be more clear...

It should low pressure right on off the horizontals..verticles may give a little trouble on the low exposure sides..

In other words clean/strip it first with a hydrixide based deck stripper like hd80 while running low tip pressures. Can try a test spot first to get an idea if a good amount will come off. During the actual job I would want to see 80% or more of it coming off the horizontals and then switch over to the jasco only where needed.

If you wish to get it all off with hydroxide then you have to move into adding a boost to it and keeping it wet by reapplication misting or useing plastic.

If enough comes off with a simple strip though you can make short work of it by the spot stripping with the stronger stripper gels.

Also you have to be prepared to do some defurring or sanding when dry.

1. $30, is that a gallon? Yea

2. About how much do you think would be needed for a 21x16 deck with spindles. well ya got from 650-750' and if product goes maybe 150' that be about 5 gal BUT you strip first and only spot stripping so... The spindles will take a couple gal fer sure and take lots of time so I would actually be considering only washing and feather sanding them before resoliding them with an oil based product.

3. Would I use it on the deck floor as well as spindles or just use HD80 on the floor. where needed..

4. How long should it sit, over night covered with plastic as I have heard some say or just an hour or two. some gels,creams, etc. may take time but the epoxy version of jasco eats right through in anywhere from a minute to 5 minute. I prefure to do small sections and although it may seem unorthodox to some I like to rinse it up with lacquer thinner before it dries..acrylics just go back to solid again when it dries from regular stripper.With jasco's it can also but more often then not it dries into almost a powder consistancy that comes right off with washer or it crinkles up in having let go of the wood, etc.

5. Do you just pressure wash as usuall once it has sat long enough see above

What is the customer wanting with this deck? You said you were only going to do the top of the deck, no staircase, or supports? I was always taught once you have a solid put on a deck, you have to stay with a solid cause you cant get it all off. Unless of course, you want to spend all your profit and time on stripping with methylene chloride, or HD80 with booster. Im sure it can be done, but I would never try it.

My advice, strip what you can with HD80, then put on another solid. If the customer wants a semi transparent stain, I would suggest tearing down the deck and rebuilding a new one.

Is very possable that some color will be left inthe wood from certain silicone based stains.

Always plan or prepair HO for resoliding or at least the resuse of same color as ya never truly know what ya gonna get..

Yes, that is what I have read in several posts, thats why I am trying to get as much detail as possible to make my decision. The customer does want to go to an oil base as he does not like the solid. He knows that the cost of doing the whole thing would be nuts, so he wants to just paint the rest of the stairs and lattice work in a similar color.

Might look good if deck floor and hand rails are semi-trans to semi-solid and then all the verticles are solid..Just comes down to what the HO wants and if they willing to pay for full strip.

Maybe searches on the forum using terms like 'two tone' wll bring up some examples.

I still think you're not going to be able to get all the solid off and make the semi look good. A two tone may work, and like MMI said, that is a way you could direct the homeowner.

But, all things aside, it is going to take alot of time and alot of money to do this job. You have to weigh the pro's and con's to see if you will make money or not.

Do test spots on the verticals. That's whats going to kill you if the stain won't budge.

Don't use anything with methylene chloride unless you like pain.

It can go either way. Sometimes its a mildly difficult strip sometimes its:

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/wood-cleaning-restoration-decks-fences-etc/5021-acrylic-nightmare-kids-don-t-try-home.html

On that one we actually had to use methylene chloride in some spots.

Yes perhaps not for everyone but it aint that bad a stuff to use. No need to suit up..just long gloves and eye protection. Don't splash it or touch it is all. For instance I hand scrape the goo up on small floor areas all the time. One time though I filled a 55gal can by pole scraping 10k feet...never again is all I can say..

that floor is already comming off . if all you are pricing for is the floor to be stripped and the rest just cleaned thats an easy job. you may have to wash 2 times to remove the solid stain in some spots so price accordingly. the whole deck CAN be restored with deep pockets as some areas will need 3 dwell & wash cycles. I usually approach the customer with options like mentioned above. Solid color pickets , stringers , and frame with a semi trans floor and top of railing. that deck is restorable but it sounds like they want cheap. do the floor and walk away. it may not be the best solution but it is what they WILL pay for.