Sign in to follow this  
weaselcossey

Just got a bargain on a trailer rig.

Question

I just bought a trailer mounted rig from my father-in-law for $1500 (i did have to wash his house aS part of the deal, but he's not holding me to strict payments either). Seems like I got a great deal. 13 hp honda, 3500 psi, 4 gpm, setup for downstreaming , 300 gallon tank, 30 gallon chemical tank, 100' goodyear hose, and of course wand with qc tips and about a 30" lance. I live in TN, pretty small town, and no one advertises here. I've only seen one small auto detail trailer around. I've only got a couple of jobs so far, but i'm hopeful. Just bought a 24' telecoping wand and turbo nozzle. I'll have to get a new reel, as mine is obviously too small for that much hose, and not mounted well either.

It was suggested to me to fill up my tank on site. Didn't sound very professional, but my truck won't handle the weight (i'm working towards fixing that). Perhaps reimbursing the customer for their water, maybe that's not necessary, I just don't waNt to get off to a bad start. I've been pricing vinyl at 10 cents/sq.ft. First 2 jobs were one story, and I charged for footage of siding and didn't add anything for facia, soffit, or exterior of gutters. I knows this is a broad question, but does that sound too cheap? What's the best cleaners (i've only done vinyl and driveways as of now)? Any general tips would be appreciated.

This rig basically fell in my lap. Now i just need some guidance from the wisemen of the trade. I'm a pretty intelligent guy, but I still know when i'm ignorant (meaning 'unknowing,' of course - ignorant just sounds so harsh). So i'll be looking forward to any feedback.

If anyone has comments on the pricing (i understand this will vary greatly by location etc) i mentioned earlier, please tell me. The last thing I want to do is start out underbidding.

11 answers to this question

.10 sq/ft (living space) is what I charge. That includes fascia, soffit and (on most houses) exterior of gutters. (A typical 2500 sq/ft house goes for $250 and takes me about 1 1/2 hours or so.)

As for the water, you will want a little in the tank, but hooking-up to the customer's water is normal. If they have well water, they will actually appreciate the steady draw of your tank will give them. (The idea is not to fill-up your tank, but to keep the water level steady. Think buffer.)

(You say you're set up for downstreaming, so I am assuming that's how you're washing.)

.10 sq/ft (living space) is what I charge. That includes fascia, soffit and (on most houses) exterior of gutters. (A typical 2500 sq/ft house goes for $250 and takes me about 1 1/2 hours or so.)

As for the water, you will want a little in the tank, but hooking-up to the customer's water is normal. If they have well water, they will actually appreciate the steady draw of your tank will give them. (The idea is not to fill-up your tank, but to keep the water level steady. Think buffer.)

(You say you're set up for downstreaming, so I am assuming that's how you're washing.)

WHen using the chemical tip, it doesn't seem to be drawing properly. I bought this rig from my father-in-law (no expert by any means), and he said to mix 4 gallons o bleach with one water. The chemicals were not doing much, and I ended up using a backpack pump sprayer on most of his house. When using the black tip, does this draw ONLY from the chemical tank? Everything seems to be connected fine and no blockages. I took the piece off from the pump (with the ball and spring inside) and everything looked right to me. The ball is supposed to be on top of the spring, right? If someone can point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this thing,I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Also, 2500 sq ft in an hour and a half, wow! How do you measure the amount of living space?

For cleaning vinyl I use All Brite from SunBrite Supply.

I mix 7 gallons of water, 1 gallon of cleaner, and 2 gallons of 12.5% Sodium Hypochloride.

Works like a dream on Mold etc.

You mentioned 4 gallons of bleach, and 1 gallon of water ... wow :O Im pretty sure it works very well, but you don't need that much. And I highly suggest using cleaner too (like Power House or All Brite from SunBrite Supply, or Simple Cherry from PressureTek)

I also use an X-Jet though, I don't downstream. and 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours for a 2,500 sq. ft. house sounds about right with the right equipment and chemicals, afterall, if you get the right mix, its a matter of soaking the house, and just rinsing it off ;)

Length times width times the number of stories.

The way he said 'living space' kind of threw me off. Example: garage isn't actually living space, but i'm good now.

I was under the impression that I should actually measure the surface I would be cleaning. Take the length with a measring wheel, multiply the height, obviously the gable ends are bit different but it doesn't take a genius to figure it. Maybe this isn't the besy way to go, but on my own house and my in-laws' there was not much difference between the sq footagve of siding vs living space.

For cleaning vinyl I use All Brite from SunBrite Supply.

I mix 7 gallons of water, 1 gallon of cleaner, and 2 gallons of 12.5% Sodium Hypochloride.

Works like a dream on Mold etc.

You mentioned 4 gallons of bleach, and 1 gallon of water ... wow :O Im pretty sure it works very well, but you don't need that much. And I highly suggest using cleaner too (like Power House or All Brite from SunBrite Supply, or Simple Cherry from PressureTek)

I also use an X-Jet though, I don't downstream. and 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours for a 2,500 sq. ft. house sounds about right with the right equipment and chemicals, afterall, if you get the right mix, its a matter of soaking the house, and just rinsing it off ;)

The problem is that I can't get something right with my downstreaming. It doesn't seem to be drawing much from the chemical tank, or far too much from the water tank. I don't have any idea what kind of ratio this SHOULD be mixing between the two tanks. Therefore i don't know what to mix to even put in the chemical tank. I've got to get this mess straightened out. The mix of 4 bleach to 1 water was hardly doing anything. Seriously, that mix felt more like 8 water to 1 bleach, it was pointless to use it. Must be getting too much water even with the chemical tip. Don't know if this has any effect, but the line from the water tank is about 1" inside, and the chemical about 3/8" inside. Maybe just some adjustments are needed. As I said, I just this rig on credit from my in-laws, i'm still fairly clueless.

I tried to attach some pics of how its all hooked up ,but its not working out right now. I'll try again later.

Don't know if it will help, but here are some pics. I gotta get this straightened out.

P.S. I don't know how these will look on a desktop. I took the pictures, and uploaded them from my handheld.

post-3778-137772202213_thumb.jpg

post-3778-137772202253_thumb.jpg

post-3778-137772202286_thumb.jpg

post-3778-137772202318_thumb.jpg

Wesley,

I would send those pictures to Russ or Bob. they will be glad to help you out. I think you probably need a good chemical injector. I have a General pump injector that I got from Bob at pressure tek, but there are other good ones out there.

rj

Don't know if it will help, but here are some pics. I gotta get this straightened out.

P.S. I don't know how these will look on a desktop. I took the pictures, and uploaded them from my handheld.

That looks like an AR RKV model pump with the factory injector. If you are using household bleach, you need to draw that straight through the injector. If you mix it with water, it will be too weak. Try looking for a supplier that has 12% sodium hypochorite.

If you are set on using that rig, I would unbolt the unloader and call Bob at Pressure Tek for a new unloader and hi draw injector. I actually started out with a set up just like that. If you use straight household bleach without results, you have an equipment issue. If you have any questions, feel free to call me.

That looks like an AR RKV model pump with the factory injector. If you are using household bleach, you need to draw that straight through the injector. If you mix it with water, it will be too weak. Try looking for a supplier that has 12% sodium hypochorite.

If you are set on using that rig, I would unbolt the unloader and call Bob at Pressure Tek for a new unloader and hi draw injector. I actually started out with a set up just like that. If you use straight household bleach without results, you have an equipment issue. If you have any questions, feel free to call me.

You guessed it.

Wish I had got these yesterday. I decided to tinker with it and try figure out the problem. In the process I lost the spring, and the ball had a little crack in it. On top of that, it looked likme someone had torqued the tip down too much, the ball wouldn't come out of the tip. At this point, the chemical tank was getting filled up with water. So I went to my local small engine place and they ordered a replacement (shipped for $28, maybe i got taken, but i was desperate). It's just the, sorry I don't know the proper names, the part that hooks onto the pump and the whole assembly that the hose hooks into. Anyone know whatg kind of ratio this thing mixes? Do i need to adjust the cutoff valve on my water tank when using the chemical tip? I will probably buy an xjet, but i've got to get some work first.

Also, I can't can't find anything other than krud kutter and simple green, locally. I tried the krud kutter for concrete on my driveway, before things went south, and it didn't help much. It didn't seem to help the cleaning process, did seem a but brighter than the section i just used water on. Didn't seem to cut through the grime, break surface tension. I guess I'll have to keep a case or so of whatever i SHOULD be using in my garage. Anyone know a place online, where shipping won't kill me? I've heard simple cherry and 12.5 % sodium hypochlorite for vinyl. What should i use on concrete, brick, and decks ( i realize that this should probably be on a different forum, the chemical part anyway, just didn't want to explain everything again). Thanks for the feedback, more would be great. I must be able to make money here, no one advertises, population is somewhere around 20,000.