Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

First Woodtux Results of '08

Question

Ok - I will be posting some of my longevity results of Russell Cissel's WTW products. Here is the background. Had a slow period - so I ended up doing yard work and landscaping for a friends mother for cheap. I also painted some trim on her house - and then paid some attention to this little step. It was built for my friends father who had suffered a stroke for which that concrete slab was too high for him to step - so they put this intermediate step in. It was like 2 years old when I washed it. I basically had some 'swill' at the bottom of 5'er that was my from 'paint-prep' job a week prior - If I had an inch left over - I would be lying. So I basically added water to it - because there wasn't enough to coat this one step, and just brushed it hard for like 15 minutes with a bleach/TSP/nonylphenol mix - my blend. The bleach was probably 0.15% in strength - the reason it took a full 15 of brushing - but I hosed rinsed it off - no pressure washer - and it looked absolutely clean. And while sobbing wet - took out the remainder of some Fall of '06 formula and brushed it into the soaking sobbing wet wood - the stain was just pi$$ yellow as I was applying it. And then I ran - and this was done late June of '07. And as you can see - the step looks absolutely beautiful - for what it is. But the stain is beautifully intact and looks ready for another year. I will have to recheck another deck that I used the same stain from the same pail - to see if I gave it too quick of a judgement.

But anyways - this is the product of total 'ghetto' in-the-hood prep job, and this is the result. This was just filler work, helping out a friends mom on fixed income. But it has taught me something - I sometimes do my best work, when I am not fussing all over something. And this was a bleach clean - no pressure rinse and certainly no brightener. Enjoy....

post-1720-137772202507_thumb.jpg

19 answers to this question

Looks good! Older treated wood allways seems to hold sealers longer, I completed two cedar decks last year with tux warm honey gold, and will be stopping by soon to get pics, Expecially the one where the customer has a pool and a hot tub, 3 kids, and a dog, twp honeytone did not wear great on his floor the first time in his situation, but the honeytone does not last long in the first place because it is too light and burns off quick anyway due to lack of pigment which affects u.v. protection.

yeah that's warm honey gold - what are your thoughts - you think it's faded?

nah..looks good Dan. To rephraze what I was saying...do ya think what ya used has less room to fade than say a darker one? Think as a customer I would rather have consistant look in a lite stain than a huge tint/shade swing from going with a dark stain that can't cut it.

Sealerguy, ...no matter pigment a paraffinic as twp is gonna loose it's oils and pigments from the elements, washings, foot traffic, etc. in a no holds barred fashion from the get go as they don't utilize resin entrapment. Is not really a pigment problem persay but rather an entrapment problem. The more ya put in though the longer they may last in their activity of leaching the goods to the surface in order to be seen...On other hand these film former type stains as wtw are meant to trap the oils and should not present as such.

It looks like I would expect after doing that type of application myself. The color is not as rich as it would be otherwise applied to a dry surface instead. So, as far as faded, no, it just doesn't have as much color.

Nice pic. Thanks for posting it.

Rod!~

nah..looks good Dan. To rephraze what I was saying...do ya think what ya used has less room to fade than say a darker one? Think as a customer I would rather have consistant look in a lite stain than a huge tint/shade swing from going with a dark stain that can't cut it.

Sealerguy, ...no matter pigment a paraffinic as twp is gonna loose it's oils and pigments from the elements, washings, foot traffic, etc. in a no holds barred fashion from the get go as they don't utilize resin entrapment. Is not really a pigment problem persay but rather an entrapment problem. The more ya put in though the longer they may last in their activity of leaching the goods to the surface in order to be seen...On other hand these film former type stains as wtw are meant to trap the oils and should not present as such.

Kevin-

Chris uses the 100 series and it is not a paraffin oil. It has plenty of resin. The 200 series uses paraffin and resin.

It looks like I would expect after doing that type of application myself. The color is not as rich as it would be otherwise applied to a dry surface instead. So, as far as faded, no, it just doesn't have as much color.

Nice pic. Thanks for posting it.

Rod!~

Rod - I actually don't like that real rich 'orange' color of warm honey gold - it's a bit too much for me. The color on that step reminds me of some of those baker's jobs. And as well - that step was soaking dripping oozing wet, and from what I am told the longevity is greatly compromised with this kind of application. But for my tastes that step looks pretty darn good shape. Looks like it could easily, easily go 18 months with just a slight touch up - but I think it will go the full 24 months. Because of this little 'experiment', I have much higher hopes for the durability of woodtux on older pressure treated decks that are still in good condition.

This step lived I think 5 years, was totally greyed - but never got intense sunlight - basically lived it's life under the thick shade of 'muni' Maple trees growing on the side of the road. I will get some pics of another deck that was also greyed but was only 10 months old in comparison. That was a 'wet' application as well - the staining followed directly after a washing - although wood was not visibly wet like the step above. And I don't think it fared as well. I am now thinking that perhaps the newer the wood we are treating the more cautious we have to be with moisture content? And something like dried out 5 year pressure treated perhaps has improved capillary action of sucking in stain - so being wet is perhaps advantageous?

Learn somethin new everyday..thanx Scott!

Do tell, was it one I could get and one not due to voc?

oop- can't get the 100 where I'm at : http://www.twp100.com/100msds.pdf

But the 200 would be a go: http://www.coastalsealants.com/200%20TWP%20MSDS.pdf

Apparently they claim the 200 as a film former as well... should we consider it comparable to WR stain and seal and the 100 comparable to the wtw minus the wet technology?

Scott can you please speak to this and confirm your color availability on the 200? I've overlooked it on your site on ocassion due to the bland look of the sample chips. Some sites show richer palette that include russett and redwood colors for example. Some show them to be available without being custom colors..Do you think the butternut might be richer than shown on yer site? from what I can tell of other sample examples around the net it is much brighter towards red. Maybe samples are available?

..anyways..back to topic of wtw :)

...been thinkin it is non curing paraffinic myself..is'll news to me Frank.. I did read on one site that TWP claims it is film forming:

WOODguard > WOODguard® > Compare > WOODguard vs TWP 200 Series

And than here is another that seems to confrim what Scott said: TWP 200

And Scott..here are the two sites I see the other color options:

MFG Sealants

TWP Total Wood Protectant - TWP Series 200

..geez, sorry about this Dan...yer thread is all hijacked

Learn somethin new everyday..thanx Scott!

Do tell, was it one I could get and one not due to voc?

oop- can't get the 100 where I'm at : http://www.twp100.com/100msds.pdf

But the 200 would be a go: http://www.coastalsealants.com/200%20TWP%20MSDS.pdf

Apparently they claim the 200 as a film former as well... should we consider it comparable to WR stain and seal and the 100 comparable to the wtw minus the wet technology?

Scott can you please speak to this and confirm your color availability on the 200? I've overlooked it on your site on ocassion due to the bland look of the sample chips. Some sites show richer palette that include russett and redwood colors for example. Some show them to be available without being custom colors..Do you think the butternut might be richer than shown on yer site? from what I can tell of other sample examples around the net it is much brighter towards red. Maybe samples are available?

..anyways..back to topic of wtw :)

TWP 500 and 200 series can be shipped to CA and the other low VOC states.

The colors on my site for the 200 series are bland and they come directly from my manufacturer. I do have fan decks with the colors if you would like one. The 200 series would be comparable to Wood rich Stain and Seal without the technology

Scott, does the 500 series have a parafin/resin combo? are you sure the 200 series does ? thanks frank

I believe there is a little bit of paraffin in the 500 series. The 200 series has alot of paraffin. It is considered 90%+ solids since the paraffin oil can be considered a solid. 500 series is 60-70% solids.

Baker's Gray Away is very similar to the TWP200 series. (same base)

Dan, WoodTux, when not reformulated, having drying issues or otherwise is a durable product. I have based my two year warranties on it without a problem.

::daydreaming:: Now only if someone would make it and get it on the shelves

Dan, WoodTux, when not reformulated, having drying issues or otherwise is a durable product. I have based my two year warranties on it without a problem.

Didn't you see the picture with my shelves stocked with Wood Tux?

Ken - this one step has reaffirmed my belief in it's durability - again I will revisit this other customer deck and look more carefully. Perhaps I passed it off without careful examination. And as well - I dont believe my methods were that bad - in comparison they both got a 'bleach' wash - and the step got the weaker of the two in terms of bleach percentage, and to boot was not 'neutralised' by the addition of an acid treatment. And the step was as wet as any wood right after a drenching rainstorm - where as my other deck looked visibly dry on the surface. And even further - as Rod pointed out - the application of woodtux to this step was much thinner - where as I really loaded it on my other deck.

Who knows - maybe overnight temps dipped that night - it was in early May - which is a possibility, and that can adversely affect the life of any coating. I've painted trim in 70 degree weather - and watched temps dip to high 30's and then watched it all bubble off the following spring. And further than that - I stained a 'wet' deck - it could have froze several nights later, with all the high content moisture and ruined the finish from within- there is plethora of possibilities.

Yes - but for how much longer, Scott?

email from Russell on April 11th:

-------

Scott

Your order is scheduled to be completed on the 17th and shipped out on the 18th. I can add the other 30 pails to that and ship them out with your order or we can ship them direct to your customer from here.

Though is doesn't seem to be the industry standard, I want to apologize for the delay in getting this order processed. It has been like pulling teeth trying to get the resin in. We are going to stock the resin extra heavy to avoid any more delays this season.

In addition we are going to over-winter some resin inventory so that we wont have a repeat of this issue next spring.

I really do appreciate your business and sorry again for the delay.

Russell

-------