Sign in to follow this  
Palmetto Home and Deck

Three times already this year

Question

I have given estimates for three decks for stripping and staining this year so far this year where the owners come back and wanted to know how much would it be for just the stripping.

I try to make money on the stripping, but more times than not its the application of the stain that carries the job through and makes the whole project worth while.

I have thought about giving them a price high enough for just the stripping that would be close to the stripping and staining without showing them the break down I come up with for each item, but I don't want to do that.

I know that no matter how good of a job I do on the stripping that the home onwers will put something like Berr on the deck and they will hold me responsible if they are not happy with the results. Its not the legal responsiblity that worries me, but the referrals aspect of it. When I clean and seal a deck I want it to be a show piece. I want other people see it and want theirs done like it. If the owners make a mess of a deck after I clean it I know they will make me out to be the bad guy.

Are any of you running into this situation and what do you do if so?

4 answers to this question

Len,

I'd give them a seperate estimate, based on labor. 75% for stripping 25% on Staining. Or as needed. I don't have any problem breaking down a job like that. If I feel they want to stain the deck, I'd price the stripping higher then it would be with both included. Make more money by breaking it down.

Ex: If I Strip & Stain, =$1500.

Strip only =$850.

Stain only = $850.

I'd tell them it's more because I have to set up for a smaller job. If they don't like it , so be it. Nothing loss. Hope this helps.

Terry is right.

I have had requests like this and I give people the analogy of buying a cell phone. You get a state-of-the-art phone for $99 because you also buy the service plan that goes with it. The plan subsidizes the cost of the hardware. If you lose your phone and have to buy the phone by itself it is usually $300-$400.

Although I really dont run into that situation at all I simply expalin that the only way I can perform the quality job I advertise and pride myself on, is to complete the entire project beginning to end. If someone insisted on one aspect or the other, 95 percent of the time I would not take the job. Like you said, its your namesake on the line for the other half of the job that the customer attempts to complete on their own.

Beginning to end for me. Rate is adjusted as to it being a clean or strip and/or raised work. Then breakdowns are deck,rail,step, lattice,pergola, stain...None of this stuff where the strip labor is this and the staining is that fer me..That is internal.