Sign in to follow this  
Palmetto Home and Deck

Problem with Dara_Pine by Cox

Question

I have been re-skinning a deck in the Clemson, SC area with Dura_Pine by Cox Lumber. At first I thought that this lumber was wonderful. It was kiln died after treatment, it was straight and virtually free of any knots.

Being advertised as dry lumber (delivered at or below 19% moisture) with shrinkage at a minimum I installed the decking using a 6d nail as a spacer between the boards. Before I was even through with the project the gap I had left between the boards had opened up to 1/2" or more in some places. In addition the boards began showing signs of severe checking like boards on an old deck.

I ran short a few boards and to buy a few more. When they were delivered I checked the moisture content with my moisture reader and some of the boards had a reading of over 28%.

Has anyone else used this lumber and have you had problems with it as well?

4 answers to this question

Hi Micah,

The manager from the place I bought the lumber from in Easley and a representative from Cox lumber have come out and looked at the deck. They both say that is normal for lumber lumber to shrink and check (crack) like this one is doing.

In some cases, like with the typical wood you get from the big box stores, I may agree, but even then I have never seen lumber that looked so good when it was delivered go downhill so fast after it was installed. I mean these boards were promoted not to do everything they are actually doing. If I had gotten the lumber from a box store and paid $8.00~$9.00 a board that would be one thing, but these boards cost nearly $27.00 each.

Now the lumber company in Easley says these boards are fine, but will send me 20 more at no cost and they want the owner to sign a paper releasing them and Cox Lumber from any further liability. (Which by the way ain't going to happen)

No one at Cox or the lumber company will except my credibility when I checked the moisture of some of these boards at 28%.

The agency that regulates the standard for pressure treated lumber, AWPA, now has the pictures. This where it stands as of now. Don't you wish, Micah, you did wood work? I think I'm going to sell my carpentry tools and by a surface cleaner like yours.

I'd take your vid camera and film yourself checking the moisture content when the new boards come in, put that days news paper in the shot (with headline readable)so no one can say it was a different product / day. And NO to signing any release, if they are not going to stand behind the second delivery I'd want my money back.

I cant speak anything regarding that brand of wood you used, but even the dryest wood seems to have some shrinking. I always do board replacements with no nails in between. Im not sure how that process of spacing boards came about, but everyone Ive talked to recomeneds snugging the wood together and inevitably you will end up with some gap