Sign in to follow this  
nick_nite

Question

Hello , great board ya got here............

Ran across this cedar deck that a supposed experinced tradesman finished last year with Cabot's solid stain............what a mess.....

You dont see many cedar decks in my neck of the woods, she wants it stripped and sealed...........

nick_nite

House Painters | Think Painting - Plymouth County Painters - Rhode Island Painting Contractors

Picture039.jpg[/img]

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m227/fxwg_03/Picture039.jpg

12 answers to this question

Hello Nick.. welcome over to TGS

An experienced woodie would have recognized that there is no ventilation under that deck. No ventilation and a solid = peeling mess. Nick do a test with that stripper. I think you have a 50% chance you are looking at a nightmare with multiple strips and lots of sanding.

Welcome Nick! Might think about flippin a deck board, see what the underside looks like. Pain in the can, but might be your only solution unless you have a flame thrower handy!

Hello , great board ya got here............

Ran across this cedar deck that a supposed experinced tradesman finished last year with Cabot's solid stain............what a mess.....

You dont see many cedar decks in my neck of the woods, she wants it stripped and sealed...........

nick_nite

House Painters | Think Painting - Plymouth County Painters - Rhode Island Painting Contractors

Picture039.jpg[/img]

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m227/fxwg_03/Picture039.jpg

That is an easy strip. :banana:

Go to: TheProSealerStore and buy HD-80.

Mix at 6-8 oz per gallon, apply and let dwell. Time is your friend.

Keep moist w/ more HD - don't let it dry out while working. Test it in a well adhered area by scratching at it with a paint stirring stick. When it comes off with ease in the worst area, wash the deck. Neutralize with Oxalic, citric or a blend thereof. Rinse again. Go back and sand any areas that need a little attention. Seal as customer desires.

The reason I say it's not a hard strip is it is a deck STAIN on there not a paint. If it were a paint ( and if you are wrong you'll find out) you would be looking at a different chemical to remove it.

Beth :cup:

p.s. Nick, nice deck you posted in your 2nd link. How do you like working with Wood Tux and Woodrich S&S?

I will agree with Ken on the air flow condition as it will retain moisture but I will add that it appears the prep was incomplete and looks like there is another stain beneath the latest coating. This could have caused some adherence problems in conjunction with the high moisture retention condition which only needs a few weeks of dry and hot temps to set this type of failure in motion.

In the event it does not come off with hd--80 alone, add a booster to it and give it a 30-45 minute dwell time. Keep it wet the whole time.

Rod!~