Sign in to follow this  

Question

Attached is a picture of the same area viewed from two directions of an Ipe deck done with Wood Tux. I am not getting the results I wanted. The deck was stripped and neutralized then left for 5 days to dry. The deck was also defurred with an Osborn brush (not impressed by this thing, will stick to sanding in the future). The Wood Tux was brushed on liberally, allow to sit for 5 mins, then padded in to remove excess. This stuff went on pretty thick and was like padding through mollases after only 5 mins., very tacky. Temp was mid 60's and sunny. With some parts of the wood it settled in, on other it just seemed to sit on top, shiny appearance. Neither the customer nor I were satisfied with what was going on; he said it looked just like the ATO that failed after one month. We agreed to leave this section for a few days to see what happens. If it still looks this way, I'll probably strip it off and try Bakers (probably should have used that to begin with; a product I know and trust).

Did I do something wrong? Is this just the nature of Ipe? As far as I know, I prepped it correctly. This will be a 6 month maintenance contract so I want to get the "base" coat done right. I'm about ready to 60grit sand the whole thing then wash it again.

I will be flying around the country today so I won't be near a computer but if anyone wants to call me, I get back to you during one of my lay-overs. 817.372.3743.

Thnx.

post-1269-137772202759_thumb.jpg

30 answers to this question

Just put a rag on a lambs wool applicator . Blend unused product and take off. Screw the knee thing......

Amen,

Screw the knee thing!! The maintenance coats seem to go on much better with very little extra stain. When I do the first coat on a freshly sanded deck I have so much stain that comes back out with wiping, it seems no way around getting down there and wiping it all up to get a nice flat look. I'm going to try the pad trick on the one I have lined up next month.

Do you guys think you could spray a fine enough coat with a Decker or do you need an airless? I've been brushing everything so far.

Christian