Sign in to follow this  
Maj.

New construction

Hello everyone,

I have a question on a new construction house that I have to do an estimate on. It is brick house with stone around the widows and doors. I am not sure what the stone is made out of. I am going to use muriatic acid on the brick around the bottom of the house to remove the mud (red clay) . Does anyone know if I can use the muriatic acid on the stone or should I use something else? I do not want to mess the stone up; also I have a lot of windows that I have to worry about getting what ever chemical I use on them. Also what would be a good sq foot price? I would usually go about .10 a square but it is a rather clean house. Any questions that I can answer just let me know.

Thank you for the help.

post-2007-137772202954_thumb.jpg

post-2007-137772202973_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH]9240[/ATTACH]

post-2007-137772202945_thumb.jpg

post-2007-137772202966_thumb.jpg

post-2007-13777220298_thumb.jpg

Wouldn't use muriatic on that house period. You should check with EaCoChem or Prosoco for a proper new construction detergent that you can safely apply on either surface with no chance of burning or damaging the substrate. We'd use NMD80 (EaCoChem) for the entire project.

If you are going to use Muriatic Acid on ANYTHING and you don't know what to charge, I don't feel you should be doing it PERIOD. Brick especially is more porous than concrete (generally) and using Hydrochoric acid (muriatic) takes a lot of getting used to, as well as what to neutralize it with, how much to use, recovering the neutralized acids and correct pressure washing after you are done. If your machinery is not adjusted properly and you don't wash it correctly you can leave nice surface cleaner marks. There are ways to do acid washing correctly and you can produce some amazing results with proper care and technique, but my feeling is that if you unfamiliar with that kind of work... stay away.

With that said, if you ARE familiar and know what you are doing... Acid washing brick, stone, masonry, concrete coatings etc. CAN be done. You usually want to seal the substrate after washing. V-Seal offers a number of sealers that work great.

House washing across the nation generally goes from .75-$1.50 per linear foot for one story, 1.50-2.50 for two stories and so on.

Acid washing runs from .75/ft-$2.00/ft.

Good luck.

I too would use NMD80 or Prosoco's Vana-Trol for this job. Definatly not muriatic. Sell the builder on the fact that you'll be using the proper acid and you'll be able to get just about whatever price you want. Rinse, Rinse, Rinse the windows. Before, during and after. If you don't feel 100% comfortable with this job, you may want to pass on it.