Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Redwood Deck

Question

8 answers to this question

Nice wood. Somewhat soft like cedar. Test stain before applying, can force the natural tannins out of the wood and turn black.

Ready Seal makes "Redwood Only" formula that supposedly addresses this issue. 98% of my decks are redwood. I've used the non-Redwood formula before when the sent me the wrong stuff, and, according to Pierce @ RS, its OK for West Coast decks. Apparanlty the tannin pull was a Northeast issue. Don't recall where your at, so keep that in mind if using RS.

Other than that, like Rick said, Redwood is a softwood, so easy on the PSI, and dont be too upset if you get some furring after your wash is dry. Hard to avoid.

Apparanlty the tannin pull was a Northeast issue.

That makes no sense to me....

I don't see why a board in one location, would behave any differently than a board in another location given the same ambient temps, same cleaners, etc., same process...tannin bleeding would be the nature of the species I would think... very odd.... I'll go drink more coffee. :cup:

Beth

Matt,

Funny. You on the west coast work with redwood daily. Here in NJ, going on 7 yrs of business, I have only seen and worked on 1 redwood deck. The only redwood seen around here is used on hot tub enclosures.

The tannin issue hit me on my one and only. Regular RS test patch, within a second, turned a nasty black. Tom of ACR Products overnight shipped some Ready Seal redwood only and problem solved.

Figure this particular wood was old, very mature growth stock. Deck was 24 yrs. young, had not been maintained for nearly 10 years, and the wood cleaned up to near pristine condition. Just loaded with natural oils, resins, tannins, whatever.

Assume newer redwood is probably plantation grown, possibly genetically altered, and harvested prior to establishing full extractive content.

You can't get Redwood in MD anymore. We maintain a number of Redwood decks, and have had problems getting replacement lumber for a couple years now. Not one single lumber yard can get it. Not allowed to use it in MD.

Beth

Tell Peirce that Rod said he is full of it. :p :lol:

The redwood that exists out here comes from the west coast and there is no climatic conditions, species variations or any situations that will support his statement.

Rod!~

You can't get Redwood in MD anymore. ... Not one single lumber yard can get it. Not allowed to use it in MD.

What? Are you saying it is illegal to sell redwood in MD? If this paternal madness does not stop soon, we are all doomed. Whats next, WRC, ipe', mahogany? If MD is pandering to silly tree huggers, NJ cannot be far behind.