Sign in to follow this  
Bryan C

Plastic Sheeting

Question

Anyone know where to purchase 72" pretaped plastic sheeting? The only stuff I can find is the 24" or 36" high, made by 3M.

Beginning to wonder if they make pretaped sheeting this large - for covering the siding when staining decks.

11 answers to this question

Does that pre tape plastic have tape on the top and botton? We had tried taping plastic to viyl siding in the past and if it was even just breazy it would come off the siding. It was a real pita.

Does that pre tape plastic have tape on the top and botton? We had tried taping plastic to viyl siding in the past and if it was even just breazy it would come off the siding. It was a real pita.

We used the stuff that Rod recommended yesterday - it is awesome. Comes pretaped at the top only. We started with taping it up top, then stuck additional tape on the vinyl at the bottom, tucked the sheeting into that. Nice static cling against the house which eliminates it blowing around.

They carry it at SW - about $17 a roll (8' X 75'). I tried it and then had them order me some additional rolls...

Your welcome.

imagine that...we can learn somethin new everyday here..thanx Rod

Sherwin-Williams SherLink

ps- Hey Rod... it says "Maintains strength when wet." , it last through stripping and rinsedown?

Don't know, never tried it during the initial wash/strip process. Only use it as a protectant during sealant application.

Rod!~

We used the stuff that Rod recommended yesterday - it is awesome. Comes pretaped at the top only. We started with taping it up top, then stuck additional tape on the vinyl at the bottom, tucked the sheeting into that. Nice static cling against the house which eliminates it blowing around.

They carry it at SW - about $17 a roll (8' X 75'). I tried it and then had them order me some additional rolls...

Our dealer gets it for me at a discount since I buy so much of it. You may be able to get a better price break by buying it by the case (10/cs) and I usually order 2-3 cs at a time.

My last purchase cost me $10.73@ and it was on sale!

Rod!~

Practice masking and it doesn't take long to run tape and mask. 5 minutes and I can usually have the back masked. I run a continuous 2" strip along the base of the house while rolling back the top edge. Then using painters plastic (400' rolls - 9' high) you stick the leading edge. When it's all stuck then you upright it into the place and secure. Then when your done it all pulls down in one continous pull.

Never tried the easy mask..... interesting about the static cling though. the thin plastic .5 mil works the best as the tape sticks to it real well and it clings to the house good. 400' rolls are about $17 retail but we get them for 12 bucks at Menards or MAB and you can do quite a bit of work off $20 in tape and plastic.

This thread is a big help. I finally undrstand what I was doing wrong. Too heavy of plastic and wrong taping procedure. Im getting excited thinking about trying it this other way. Thanks.