Sign in to follow this  
Apple Roof Cleaning

NEW House Wash Mix - Look ?

Question

NEW House Wash Mix - Look ?

Hey guys, here is the "professor" WAY back in 1999 http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...0591.Bt.q.html

I was TOLD to substitute Calcium Hypochlorite for Sodium Hypochlorite in my roof cleaning mix.

Well, the powdered Calcium Hypo is not strong enough for roof cleaning.

BUT, I got to thinking, WHY don't you Soft Wash or House Wash guys USE it, instead of Bleach ?

It will not kill plants, or effect the soil as bad.

It should be plenty strong for house cleaning, plus powder easy to carry around.

Anyone ever try it ?

10 answers to this question

Please validate it not strong enough for roofs. Coulda sworn I debunked internally in my mind that much myth was involved concerning lack of chlorine strength... with SH the end effects have something to do with the hydroxide/salts content contributing to the reaction/oxidizing..

Please validate it not strong enough for roofs. Coulda sworn I debunked internally in my mind that much myth was involved concerning lack of chlorine strength... with SH the end effects have something to do with the hydroxide/salts content contributing to the reaction/oxidizing..

I tried it, it DID clean, after about 5 sprays of the roof.

It took all 100 gallons to clean a 35 gallon roof.

It cleans really slow compared to SH

You would need even more mix to clean a house.

4% for roofs and 6% for housewash, to DS.

20 % draw to get 1.25 TTW.

Doesn't sound worth it to me.

I have no pressure washing experience, never downstreamed.

If I HAVE to clean a house, I dilute my roof mix, and use my chemical pumps.

When you guys downstream, do you use straight bleach, or straiglt SH ?

That is 50 percent SH solution.

I wonder IF Calcium Hypochlorite can equal the strength of that solution if diluted less ?

Mildew Stain Remover

With the Calcium Hypochlorite, you are not leaving Sodium Salt behind, only relatively harmless Calcium.

There ARE several commercial mildew cleaners using Calcium Hypochlorite .

It MIGHT even give you an advantage over your competitors because you can "look em in the eye" and say "We do NOT use Bleach"

:lgangel:

Chris,

I wonder if the new roof mixture (apple cider) would work? I mean use less SH in ones mixture, and add alcohol.

Thats a good thought Chris, and it is very effective on mildew. And I have tried it, and it does work, but it will leave a whitish haze on anything it dries on. Not just the siding but anything. And I have used it in the past for roofs, it did work for me up here. I didn't like mixing it because it doesn't completely mix up. I wish you could buy that stuff without the filler, but even Univar only has 65%, which seems weird to me. But the price of SH is $3.77. And 1 lb. of CH will make five gallons compared to the 2 gallons I'm getting from SH. And over volume that will be considerable. I;m still MESSing with it. I could also buy and store more at a time. It actually works pretty well up here Chris, just messy. I would be more inclined to actually switch if I could mix up a bunch at a time and not worry about degrading product. You know, get the mess out of the way.

Jeff

Chris,

I wonder if the new roof mixture (apple cider) would work? I mean use less SH in ones mixture, and add alcohol.

Well, here is the US Patent it is based on Aqueous cleaning composition containing chlorinated bleach, an alcohol and a surfactant - Patent 5376296

From reading the Patent, we can see it really is an all purpose cleaning mix.

Dwight from BMC Pressure Washing up in Tennessee "accidentally" verified Apple Cider's effectiveness.

I gave him the formula calling for diluted Sodium Hypochlorite.

Dwight used store bought Bleach in place of the SH.

Guess what ?

It did just what the patent claimed.

It loosened the mildew up on the roof shingles so that a rinse cleaned them.

Hey, you know what ?

The downstreamed Apple Cider should be kind to WINDOWS, huh ?

It has Ajax and Rubbing Alcohol in it.

Many window cleaners use dish soap and alcohol in water as a cleaning solution.

I would read the Patent, and figure out how strong it needs to be to arrive at the strength needed to clean houses with if downstreamed.

You guys should all know by now I mainly clean roofs, and do not even own a pressure washer.

If I have a house cleaning, and they are rare, I dilute the roof mix Apple Cider down with water.

It cleans fine, and no problems with windows either.

But we have dedicated chemical pumps.

Yeah, why NOT mix up some strong Apple Cider, and downstream it ?

Thats a good thought Chris, and it is very effective on mildew. And I have tried it, and it does work, but it will leave a whitish haze on anything it dries on. Not just the siding but anything. And I have used it in the past for roofs, it did work for me up here. I didn't like mixing it because it doesn't completely mix up. I wish you could buy that stuff without the filler, but even Univar only has 65%, which seems weird to me. But the price of SH is $3.77. And 1 lb. of CH will make five gallons compared to the 2 gallons I'm getting from SH. And over volume that will be considerable. I;m still MESSing with it. I could also buy and store more at a time. It actually works pretty well up here Chris, just messy. I would be more inclined to actually switch if I could mix up a bunch at a time and not worry about degrading product. You know, get the mess out of the way.

Jeff

Jeff, Sodium Hydroxide is added to Sodium Hypochlorite to give more shelf life.

MAYBE it would do the same for the Calcium Hypo ?

This needs to be researced first.

We ALWAYS want to be careful mixing chemicals we have never mixed before.

Far too easy to go BOOM