Sign in to follow this  
RChris57

Sodium Hydroxide/Butyl Mix Oxidation

Question

Someone recommended a Sodium Hydroxide/Butyl mix for trying to even out wand marks on an oxidized surface. The surface is painted wood. Anyone have any recommondations as far as ratios for this combination?

Thanks

8 answers to this question

Actually, why don't you try the butyl first. Start at 50/50 final product hitting the surface. (Not sure how you're applying) Move up from there. Good chance the hydroxide won't be needed, especially if the brush technique is used.

Jeff

Paint oxidation can be removed with a combination of the two like in a Heavy duty degreaser formulation and brushing. But you will need to rinse thoroughly afterwards and most of all, avoid the product drying on the surface as this can exacerbate the condition and dull the paint.

Rod!~

if you are going to x-jey just use it straight but like rod said make sure you rinse well and dont let it dry especially on the windows like I told you on the phone it worked well for meit saved my employee a PRD

Stupid question but what is a Butyl product as opposed to a non butyl product.

Is sodium metasylicate Butyl?

and sodium hydrox non butyl?

Glycol Ether EB is an example of butyl. Which I believe is the same as the 2 butoxyethanol that you see on the ingredient list of alot of the purple cleaners. If you see this listed as an ingredient in any cleaner it is butyl, definitely needed for the black streaks on gutters. Sodium hydroxide is not butyl. Actually Castrol Super Clean is a great butyl product and you can get it from Wal-Mart. I think around $6.78 per gallon. But you can cut it to at least 50/50. I use it just for gutters mostly and I use 2 gallons to 3 gallons of water for a good mix. when the temperature is cooler i will go stronger.

Jeff

Yes far as I know glycol ether is same as 2 butoxy and also as well as butyl cellosolve. I like purple power from walmart for certain applications. Has different qualities than the castrol. Thats not to say it better but is just different.

Disclaimer- butyl has had a history of causing vinyl swelling and such cleaners can remove paint if too strong or dwelled long enough.