Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

sap

Question

After replacing several boards on a deck (used #2 pt 2x6) the customer called to say one is producing a lot of sap. What causes this and how to stop it. Wood was cleaned and stained immediatly with WTW.

3 answers to this question

I wanted to bump this since I didnt get an answer.

The one board in question had only spots of sap coming up, which came up with rubbing alchohol without removing any stain.

But what causes a board to sap anyway? It was #2 lumber from HD. It was from a very young log. the cut was from the center of the log and pretty widely spaced rings if that makes any difference. I had always thought the sap wood was the outside of the tree.

Boards with sap veins will always be problematic, until the vein depletes what is in the vein as it shrinks. It may then stop but may start again the next time it is cleaned and sealed. Heat may also cause it to ooze. My suggestion - replace it. Removing sap to keep a board is a pain in the rear. If it is a vein, you will see it on the board. If it is the pressure treatment, and not sap, you will see that fade with time and subsequent cleanings and sealings. If it is sap, you 'll know the pine smell when you scratch and sniff it.

Beth

Edited by Beth n Rod
sp

I have one deck that is so unusually hot from all the sunshine hitting it - that sap is leaking all over the place from at least 70% of the boards. I think perhaps the only way to stop it, is once 'stripped' - soak all the wood with Scott's cretowood - and then stain.