Sign in to follow this  
RChris57

First Insurance claim

Question

First of all, a big thank you to all of you who have provided me with advice.

Secondly, it looks like the house we pressure washed will have to be offered to be repainted.

We have never had to file a claim, so I don't know where to start yet. I am thinking we should call the insurance company first? Line up quotes second? Shoot myself in the head third?

Ronda

7 answers to this question

Call your agent. They should be doing all the legwork. When you talk to them, make absolutely certain that you tell them that you did not see any damage until you were done washing and the house was dry. If you tell them that you noticed damage, but kept going, they might deny your claim. Ask me how I know...Actually, don't ask. It is too painful to discuss what idiot employees did.

Thanks Scott,

They didn't notice any damage at the time, nor did the homeowner. We got a call a few days later from the owner saying he saw marks on the house. They tried some different solutions on the house , i know one was DewBrite.

No difference. Like I say...flat work for us from now on, unless someone ponies up and goes to a PW school.

Ronda

Call your agent. They should be doing all the legwork. When you talk to them, make absolutely certain that you tell them that you did not see any damage until you were done washing and the house was dry. If you tell them that you noticed damage, but kept going, they might deny your claim. Ask me how I know...Actually, don't ask. It is too painful to discuss what idiot employees did.

I wasn't there, but if I were doing that sort of damage it would be noticeable at the time it was done, can't imagine it would take drying to expose it. I know this because anytime you remove oxidation on purpose as part of paint preparation, it is very easy to see the oxidation coming off. So, maybe someone wasn't paying much attention, or the homeowner thought you missed a spot and came out with their machine and did that. That would be just to noticeable as it were happening,...at least from my experience.

Jeff

Call Steve Grillo from Acworth. He is one of my accounts and he will be glad to offer some help if you decide not to go through your insurance. Oh yeah, he's a painter who is also a forum member here. here is his number770-231-9494

He's got a really big heart and will most likely cut a break for you.

Jeff,

I wasn't there either, but I did go out after the fact to look at the marks myself. The house is a taupe color, and went I went to look at it initially, it was a bright sunny day,and hard to see the marks at all. However, when the sun is set, and the house is not bathed in sunlight it is obvious. During the daytime hard to notice. Give it some shade, or late evening and the marks just pop.

Ronda

quote=814jeffw;129685]I wasn't there, but if I were doing that sort of damage it would be noticeable at the time it was done, can't imagine it would take drying to expose it. I know this because anytime you remove oxidation on purpose as part of paint preparation, it is very easy to see the oxidation coming off. So, maybe someone wasn't paying much attention, or the homeowner thought you missed a spot and came out with their machine and did that. That would be just to noticeable as it were happening,...at least from my experience.

Jeff

Thanks Adrian,

I'll pass his number to my husband.

Ronda

Call Steve Grillo from Acworth. He is one of my accounts and he will be glad to offer some help if you decide not to go through your insurance. Oh yeah, he's a painter who is also a forum member here. here is his number770-231-9494

He's got a really big heart and will most likely cut a break for you.