Sign in to follow this  
DARCO_PM

How to get started in Window Cleaning Business?!

New kid on the block. Can someone let me know what equipment do I need to start work in residential and/or commercial window cleaning business. What brand of equipment you prefer, what kind, how many. Where to get it from. I would like to get in to houses, storefront (Dunkin Donuts, Mac Donalds, BB King, CVS, Walgreens...) IF I GET LUCKY. I HOPE SO. If anyone has their company quote, estimate, invoice sheets that could share it with me, I would be very thankfull. Any feed back will be appriciated.

I would highly recommend getting a few different items so..you can tackle either or being residential & commercial. A 14" stripwasher aka wand,mop,sleeve etc. is an ideal size for residential as well as a 10 & 6" version for smaller panes of glass and cut-ups ie:french etc.

At least 3 to 5 different squeegee's i use a 6,8,10,14 & 18 for resi work.Many to choose from Ettore,Pulex,Unger,Steccone etc. The Unger's are very comfy...i use Steccone featherweights of course i've been at this awhile and appreciate the lightness of them you may not?

You'll want a scraper (pereferably a 6" model) stainless steel blades i recommend Triumph Z-40 a scraper holster a pouch to carry other swag and stuff. A good belt to hold everything like a 3 loop Sorbo and a BOAB bucket on the belt(great for ladder work)

You will want detail towels i like the surgical type,of course blue huck towels will work too. Some pick-up towels for interior work i use white terry type 18x27 for smaller sills and 22x42 for larger sills & dont forget the shoe covers makes a good impression!

Of course a good bucket i like 5 gal round buckets many use 6 gal rectangular's the choice is yours. Get you some good window cleaning detergent meant for transparent glass dishsoaps im not a big fan of.

On the commercial end you want bigger at least an 18,22 & 30" squeegee again..i recommend Sorbo "Quicksilvers" as they double nicely for fanning straight pulls & polework. A couple extention poles either a 2 to 4' ond at least a 12' or bigger the choice is yours and depending on how high you'll be working.

There are always "other things" but...thats a start.Good Luck

I would highly recommend getting a few different items so..you can tackle either or being residential & commercial. A 14" stripwasher aka wand,mop,sleeve etc. is an ideal size for residential as well as a 10 & 6" version for smaller panes of glass and cut-ups ie:french etc.

At least 3 to 5 different squeegee's i use a 6,8,10,14 & 18 for resi work.Many to choose from Ettore,Pulex,Unger,Steccone etc. The Unger's are very comfy...i use Steccone featherweights of course i've been at this awhile and appreciate the lightness of them you may not?

You'll want a scraper (preferably a 6" model) stainless steel blades i recommend Triumph Z-40 a scraper holster a pouch to carry other swag and stuff. A good belt to hold everything like a 3 loop Sorbo and a BOAB bucket on the belt(great for ladder work)

I agree as far as different brands there are many reputable names out there try a few and decide for yourself what works best for you. You also will want to invest in some quality ladders, size depending on what you are doing. I personally use a 6' step, 20', 24', 28', and 40' extension ladders. As far as providers for supplies i don't if i can post it on here so pm me and i can give more details. Good luck.

You will want detail towels i like the surgical type,of course blue huck towels will work too. Some pick-up towels for interior work i use white terry type 18x27 for smaller sills and 22x42 for larger sills & dont forget the shoe covers makes a good impression!

Of course a good bucket i like 5 gal round buckets many use 6 gal rectangular's the choice is yours. Get you some good window cleaning detergent meant for transparent glass dishsoaps im not a big fan of.

On the commercial end you want bigger at least an 18,22 & 30" squeegee again..i recommend Sorbo "Quicksilvers" as they double nicely for fanning straight pulls & polework. A couple extention poles either a 2 to 4' ond at least a 12' or bigger the choice is yours and depending on how high you'll be working.

There are always "other things" but...thats a start.Good Luck

I agree with sparkleman on this. As far as brands there are many of reputable suppliers out there. You will also want to invest in some quality ladders, i personally use a 6' step, 20'. 24', 28', and 40' extension ladders. As far as suppliers i don't if i can post their name here but pm me and i can give you the name of one i use with great customer service and quick shipping. Good luck!

Window Cleaning Shop

This is where I get my window cleaning supplies. Great prices , lots of variety quick shipping.

I use microfiber cloths for residential cleaning and polishing and the squeegees in the sizes mentioned for commercial work. Ladder standoffs and stabilizers are 2 other must haves. My brand of choice is Ettore

All great advice so far. I do residential and commercial window cleaning. I use the 18" Sorbo Quicksilver squeegee that Sparkle mentioned for commercial cleaning. If I were you I wouldn't use any larger than that when first starting out. You can try the larger squeegees after you master the 18".

The ladders I use for residential are 20' and 28' aluminum extension ladders. The 28' will get you up to 3rd story windows and the 20' is good for 2nd story and it's very light & easy to handle, plus it's great for many high interior windows and skylights.

I also use a Werner Multi-Ladder that can be used in various tricky positions like on uneven terrain and stair cases. They come in various sizes. The one I use is 22' in the extension position and 9' in the "A" frame position.

A standard 6' step ladder and small kitchen step stool come in handy as well.

You'll very rarely need anything more than a 28' ladder if doing only up to 3 stories. On those rare occasions you can just rent a larger ladder and even hire an extra guy to help handle and place it. You can figure the extra cost and add it into your quote.

Sparkle gave me a great tip on another forum a few years ago. If you use the Sorbo Quicksilver 18" squeegee then buy Soren rubber made by Ettore (to fit Sorbo channels) in it. It's so much better than the Sorbo rubber.

I like the Unger Ergotec squeegees in 12" and 14" sizes with standard Ettore rubber.

I also use 6" and 8" squeegees (with Ettore rubber) for smaller windows. The Steccone featherweights are great in these sizes and help keep the weight down on your tool belt. I use a blue nylon double squeegee holster from ABC Window Cleaning to hold my 6" and 8" squeeggees on my belt at all times

I use the newer version Unger "Bucket On A Belt" to hold my scrubber and two squeegees on my belt. This is a must have tool as far as I'm concerned.

Use a 32 oz flip top bottle (available at ABC Window Cleaning Supplies) to hold your solution for interior work and for all ladder work. I keep it on my belt in an Unger "Bottle On A Belt" holster.

I use the Ettore rectangle bucket for most all exterior commercial work but I could use the standard round 5 gallon style just as easily.

You can get a standard tool belt at Lowe's to hold all of your tools.

I agree with Sparkle that the Triumph 6 inch scrapers are great. I don't use the retractable scrapers but you may like that version.

I mostly use an Unger 4'-8' telescoping pole for most commercial work and an 18' Unger pole for really high pole work. I have an Ettore Reach 24' pole on order. For the longer poles most guys like the Ettore Reach poles because they are more rigid.

You can find a wealth of info at www.windowcleaningresources.com and at even at the National Window Cleaners Directory (forum). But beware there's a lot of fussing and arguing at NWCD at times.

As far as soap goes I use the very popular GG-4 (Glass Gleam 4) with a little added slick (ABC Slick) to help with squeegee glide. ABC sells their house brand soap called "Glisten" which is probably just as good as GG-4 and a little cheaper.

Many guys use Dawn dish washing detergent but IMHO it's too messy and takes more time to detail the edges of the glass.

Blue Huck towels are great for detailing. You can get them at ABC or Detroit Sponge & Chamois. I also like the Unger Micro Fiber towels when I need to spray & wipe windows (mostly french panes) or around vinyl lettering & delicate signage on commercial glass.

I've spent a small fortune on advertising (Yellow Pages, website, flyers, business cards, news papers, truck signs,etc.) but I find that doing really great work for my customers brings so many referals which is the best advertising that money can't buy.

As far as pricing goes you can use certain suggested guidelines offered on the forums but ultimately you'll have to get a feel for your local market. I find that the cheapest bids don't always win. Rich folks drive expensive cars like Mercedes & BMW's, not Hyundai. They don't mind paying more for a better product or service.

This info is based on my personal experience along with much help from many of my friends on various forums over the past few years. I hope that you find it to be helpful. Good Luck!