Sign in to follow this  
tigerzak

Pealing Stain

Question

Loooking for some help!!

I am bidding on a house this week that has cedar shakes. The house was just stained a few months ago and is peeling. The contractor used Benjamin Moore Oil Based Primer on the bare spots and BM Acryllic Solid Stain on the house. The House has approx 4 coats of stain on it. The funny thing is it is peeling down to the 3rd coat. It looks like the new stain has adhered to the previous coat but it is peeling from the coat beneath that.

I tried power wash a small portion on the back of the garage and I could only knock off the parts that were peeling. The stain the rest of the stain was on solid. I tried ABR stripper and it didn't touch it. Olnly ley dwell for 20 minutes.

It seems to be peeling on the front of the house where they had a gutter problem and on the side of the house which does not get much sunlight. Could that be the problem? Moisture?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tiger

7 answers to this question

From a painters perspective - pressure wash off the loose stuff, scrape it, sand it, pressure clean, then prime the bare wood, re-stain entire home. And cross your fingers if it holds on long enough for the check to clear.

You know we can listen to 3rd party info all day long on what the prior process was supposed to have been but is it provable?. Regardless, I would assume that since only the bare spots were supposedly oil primed I would have rather heard that the whole place had been primed...and done so after a proper clean at that.

What brand solid and primer combo would you guys have Tiger use?

I'm taking pics tomorrow. The HO just had new gutters put on the house and they are not working properly. The water is just running down the front of the house missing the gutters altogether.

I am wondering if that is part of the problem. Where the front of the house (where all the peeling is) never has a chance to dry out.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Tiger

There are products that will strip paint (so certainly should do the trick here). As for the gutters, sounds like the owner needs to get that taken care of first, since a persistent problem could continue to inhibit the life of the coating (or future coatings). Wood needs three things to rot - air (with proper temps), water (over 20%), food (cellulose of the wood). If the moisture is trapped beneath the peeling mess, it's got nowhere to go and rot can set in (seen it before).

I would suggest stripping as much as you can off, so as to avoid this problem from returning. Not doing so is a discredit to the owner...just my opinion.

Beth