Sign in to follow this  
NewYorkBoraPL

Bad Stripping Day

Question

So I went to work today and the pole broke on my first performance.....nevertheless, Candy still performed well...

On to the real matter. I am working on a cedar deck with a stain on it which is definitely not oil based. I used HD-80 at 6 ounces per gallon with ridiculously long dwell times and the stain barely budged. It does not remove like a normal oil based and in a way almost peels off after rinsing with some pressure. I have some pictures and will get them up shortly, as for now any ideas on what kind of crap is on this deck?

16 answers to this question

Not only did it laught at me..it also called me names in the process.

DSC01767.jpg

This is after a very juicy coat of boosted hd-80(boosted with RV antifreeze)

The boosted version of the stripper sure took a lot more off, id say there is still aroun 20 percent of stain left on the overall deck. I also covered the deck with plastic drop cloths to prevent the hd 80 from drying up to quickly. Im debating if I should give it a go with another coat of hd80 or if I should use a floor sander for the rest of the job. Its gonna need deferring regardless. On a side note thumbs up to the people who have dealt with acrylic situations and left some very useful information in previous threads, thumbs up to the grime scene and its founders(Beth and Rod), and to Russel over at extreme solutions for great products/customer support.

Ahh shiny acrylic...

On one hand...You're getting closer to getting the rest of that stain off. Id go for one more heavy strip (10oz per gallon plus booster). This time use a stiff bristled deck brush to agitate the stripper as you go through the dwelling process. Spray stripper, scrub...spray more stripper...scrub...spray more stripper...scrub...pressurewash

Make sure you neutralize strongly after stripping that too

What type of wood is it?

There ya go

No more acrylic = much better

Have you seen how the stain dried out since you stained it? Did you wipe up where it was wet or is that picture right after you stained it?

It was somewhat still drying in those pictures, this wood was very thirsty for stain after I did a small section I realized I needed to apply more. I may have over applied in some sections as I needed to wipe it down with some mineral spirits in some places. After so much striping and sanding it felt like the wood really needed a lot more stain than expected. I used about 12 gallons and my estimate was 10 gallons.

What do you mean 'double boosted'? What was your mix? Just curious because I am always weary of adding too much Prestone. When I am mixing it, I know I will be turning the deck into a Chia Pet.

How did it do on the verticals? That is an impressive strip job...

Edited by Bryan C

By double boosted I meant that it basically needed to be stripped more than once with a boosted SH solution. It was my first acrylic so that being said I definitely undercharged it. You learn from your mistakes and take those lessons with you onto your next jobs. A nice side to it is that its great for the portfolio, website, and if I ever get another acrylic strip I can justify the labor price to the HO with some photos.