Sign in to follow this  
AMDin93103

Fixed-location reclaim solution for van

Shortest of the long.....

I am a mobile auto detailer and have a Vacuboom system (101 CFM) that I use to reclaim about 15 gallons per stop. I have been going through the cumbersome task of pouring the grey water into 5 gallon cans and then disposing. The are two aspects that I find very inefficient: set-up/break-down of the hoses and boom as well as emptying the Vacuum unit every time it fills to ~7 gallons. This will hopefully change with the new arrangement I am imagining.

I propose simply replacing the housing that the Vacuboom uses with a 30 gallon loaf tank affixed to the floor in my van; fastening the existing hoses to the tank as well as dropping the Vacuum Motor into the top and securing it with a small sump to exit the grey for disposal. The only investment being the loaf tank and some fittings.

My questions:

1). Does the volume of the cavity that the motor sits in effect the performance? Will the vacuum motor get more lift or operate more efficiently having a smaller space it rests in?

2). Calculating the step-in height of the van, the tank and slight variance in the level of the terrain parked, can I expect the 101 CFM unit to actually pick the waste off the surface from just over three feet?

2b). If not, what size motor should I consider?

3). What other issues have I overlooked, you guys and gals are the experts!

You need to be sure that loaf tank is vacuum rated, or it will collapse. Why not just add a sump to the vacuum and discharge to either a tank or onsite as allowed?

Leaaving the vacuum on the van and just running the hose out may work depending on how many feet of hose and how many booms you are using. You can add a vacuum motor and double your specs, or you can replace with larger spec motors. Mine is 224 cfm and 106" lift vs the 202 cfm and 87" of lift.

Is vacuum rated a difficult thing to find? I could (and do) currently unload the vacuum unit (with sump) from the van at each stop but think it may prove to be much more efficient just having to pull out the hose and boom instead. My workspace has become serious spaghetti with cord and hoses....

Maybe a higher rated Vacuum motor with a vacuum rated tank is the way to go. I will double check the Vacuboom's vacuum specs and adjust accordingly. Any leads on the tank?!

Thanks a lot.

Edited by AMDin93103

A loaf tank would do way better than a rectangle tank as far as vacuum is concerned. However that is not what they are made for, and custom tanks lie this are not cheap. Just sump the vacuum and then put in a tank as needed.

Do you need more vacuum? Do your booms leak? How many booms do you use? Unless you have a different vacuum than what they normally use, then the specs are 101 cfm and 87" of lift or about 6 Hg.

So I have been a little slow to complete this whole thing. SORRY.... the work-thing got in my way. I took your advice OTP and opted to not use a Vac Rated waste tank. I also decided that at some point in the near future I will be upgrading the vacuum motor (currently 101CFM) to a two-stage.

I ended up with a new rig; 2008 Sprinter. I have a few pictures attached showing the secondary tank I will be using to hold the grey waste from my Vacuboom. I will be reclaiming the "traditional, Vacuboom way" using the top Female Inlet on the poly tank to connect the discharge hose from the vac.

What type of pump will last pumping out the wastewater (soap, mild degreasers, etc) from this tank? I guess I need an electric pump that can handle some sediment and empty the tank completely within an inch or two? I would like to be able to empty this thing quietly (neighbors, I'm often home late) and quickly... reversing the Vacuboom process is fairly noisy.

Also, is there a way I can utilize the bottom 1" outlet? What material hardware is necessary?

Sorry for my naivety.. I just polish cars :o

post-1138-137772235612_thumb.jpg

post-1138-137772235918_thumb.jpg

post-1138-137772235924_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the reply Kevin.

Will the Simer pumps' seals last pumping out the wastewater (soap, mild degreasers, etc) from this tank? Should I be looking for Viton only?

One problem I am having is finding a submersible pump that will fit through the 5" opening at the top of the tank. I saw this small pump for use in parts washers from Little Giant. Any thoughts?

you need 230 volt for that pump so unless your generator can produce 230 i would probably stick to a smaller pump 115 volt. you have the right idea about using a parts washer pump because they will probably last the longest against the chemicals

I'm still not understanding why you dont just discharge your dirty water directly from your vacuboom to a tank in your van. Instead you want a vacuum tank and another sump pump? What for? Your vacuboom is allready set up with a pump out isnt it?

If you mount your vacuum up on the wall of the van, can you drain the vacuum to a holding tank? Then drain the holding tank? At one time, a long time ago, motor homes had a siphon tube arrangement that drained the holding tank into the exhaust system. The heat burned all the nasties, the holding tanks were emptied on a long trip.

What size Sprinter and model? Tin1 or NCV3? I have 2 of them, good vans, except the repairs are not cheap.

you need 230 volt for that pump so unless your generator can produce 230 i would probably stick to a smaller pump 115 volt. you have the right idea about using a parts washer pump because they will probably last the longest against the chemicals

My current generator will produce 230 but I am going to stick with the 115 volt counterpart. Very good point and well taken.

I'm still not understanding why you dont just discharge your dirty water directly from your vacuboom to a tank in your van. Instead you want a vacuum tank and another sump pump? What for? Your vacuboom is allready set up with a pump out isnt it?

I resurrected an old post. Since originally posting in June, I decided, based on One Tough Pressure's recommendations, that it would be easier to discharge the Vacuboom into a holding tank for later disposal. I set up a 25 gallon tank for grey waste... I am simply looking for a small pump to evacuate the grey tank.

What size Sprinter and model? Tin1 or NCV3? I have 2 of them, good vans, except the repairs are not cheap.

It's a 2008 144" High Roof and it's a pleasure to drive versus the Express 2500 I sold three months ago. I have 5000 miles on my NCV3 and am not looking forward to the repair costs. I have been compiling a list of small fixes for the dealer to complete at 10k... should be interesting. I am sure you've been there, but Sprinter-Source is a great tool for Sprinter owners.

post-1138-137772235951_thumb.jpg

Why not gravity drain the holding tank? You plan to dump it later at home anyway so this would be ideal and very cost effective.

If you need to get the water further than gravity will allow, then you can drain into the vacuboom canister and sump it with that while keeping the noise down because you do not need to run the vacuum.

It's a 2008 144" High Roof and it's a pleasure to drive versus the Express 2500 I sold three months ago. I have 5000 miles on my NCV3 and am not looking forward to the repair costs. I have been compiling a list of small fixes for the dealer to complete at 10k... should be interesting. I am sure you've been there, but Sprinter-Source is a great tool for Sprinter owners.

The only problem with Sprinter Source is those pesky folks with the NCV3. I have a 2003 140 SHC 2500 and a 2005 158 SHC 2500. The 2003 gets 24-26 MPG and I get 20 in the 2005. Much nicer to drive than the Ranger, the E250, the E350, the Step Van and even my F150. I even took my Sprinter to Elk camp in November.

Thank you for the reply Kevin.

Will the Simer pumps' seals last pumping out the wastewater (soap, mild degreasers, etc) from this tank? Should I be looking for Viton only?

One problem I am having is finding a submersible pump that will fit through the 5" opening at the top of the tank. I saw this small pump for use in parts washers from Little Giant. Any thoughts?

Yea the hole size can be problem. The idea of sticking a drain on that 1" and gravity flowing it back to vacuum boom tank for to use it's evac pump sounds best to me. If that doesn't suit for some reason you can gravity the water down to a bucket holding a pump. Here's a Little Giant I use for all sorts of things: Little Giant Pump Company#

I also use little giant pumps as well, but not the kind with the float. I used to build pools & part of the construction was muriatic acid washes of the concrete by the twenty or thirty gallons at a time. They are tuffff!!! Now I'm fleet washing & even though I two-step it's not even half as harsh as I've put them through. They do go down occasionally so it never hurts to have a spare around as we all know. As far as the opening to put the pump through you can cut a larger hole and get new escutcheon and lid to fit from your local poly tank supplier.

Edited by gregative

Why not gravity drain the holding tank? You plan to dump it later at home anyway so this would be ideal and very cost effective.

If you need to get the water further than gravity will allow, then you can drain into the vacuboom canister and sump it with that while keeping the noise down because you do not need to run the vacuum.

After much debate and trying to over-engineer the entire setup, I am taking your advice. Gravity feed to Vacuboom to softscape or trap.

I will run that Little Giant through there one of these days... I love automation.

Thank you for your simplicity, OTP.