Sign in to follow this  
Doug T

pine knots..

Question

after staining a pine deck it looked good. Now a week latter the customer calls and says there are light spots all over like there was not enough stain. So I go look and all the light spots are around the knots.

Used WTW WHG. any ideas? I found one earlier post that mentioned it but I'm not sure if it is normal or not. If not, how do I correct it.

9 answers to this question

after staining a pine deck it looked good. Now a week latter the customer calls and says there are light spots all over like there was not enough stain. So I go look and all the light spots are around the knots.

Used WTW WHG. any ideas? I found one earlier post that mentioned it but I'm not sure if it is normal or not. If not, how do I correct it.

It happens frequently. The knots are like straws that soak up the stain. I have not found a way to remedy this. You should just communicate this up front. With WTW I would think you could just apply more on the spots. With RS, it just keeps soaking in.

As a painter - my intuition is that knots won't absorb much, it's like the ultimate dense summer grain. And using many sealers over the past has confirmed this. But for all it's good points Woodtux dives super deep into the knots leaving these really annoying 'dry' spots.

Pine knots are full of extractives (resin/pitch, etc.) that may or may not be hardened from wood processing and when the oils of stains hit them they can disolve and make room for the dry white look. More ya add the worse it may get. A 1 cut shellac (1lb shellac to 1 gal alcohol) can be used to seal them but since this is usually done in fine furniture staining & finishing field or prior to prime and painting I am not sure how it would pan out in the semi-trans oiling of exterior decking. Might work good if using staining products known to be more topical and able to acheive a slight sheen on surface. I think WT is such, if over applied that is. Since pine is also known to stain blotchy and funky in general, sanding sealers are usually used prior to staining most anything made with it. But again, just like the knots, a 1 cut or maybe even just a 1/2 cut of shellac will suffice to keep things even and still allow wood to take some stain...

Ah pine..oh what fun. It's been a long while since but some of my first wood finishing experience was on pine wood furniture bought from the nude furniture stores back in the late 70's to early 80's.

It's been a long while since but some of my first wood finishing experience was on pine wood furniture bought from the nude furniture stores back in the late 70's to early 80's.

Kevin,

I am afraid to ask, but here goes. What is a nude furniture store?