Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

The In's and Outs of Hiring Help...

Question

I have been up late the last few nights mulling over in my head the best strategy for hiring help. I was up til 3AM last night running calculations on the potential for increased productivity if I were to hire on more full time help.

I have worked hard the last few years on honing in my techniques, knowledge of chems and re-finishing skills and really feel like Im ready to start my expansion process. I have been so busy taking care of all of my decks that I have fallen behind on my advertising schedule, and, in some cases, keeping on top of my call backs and bids. I have always taken great care in dealing with my clients so It's been pretty embarrassing that I haven't been able to manage my time better to get to everyone in a timely manner.

I am still pretty nervous about letting anyone else get there hands on my pressure washer, but think I am ready start delegating the staining responsibilities over to hired help.

The bottom line is that I just need more time away from my jobs to take care of bids and manage my advertising schedule! I really think I've kissed quite a few profitable jobs this year due to the fact that I'm always out on every job start to finish! I haven't had a free Saturday in nearly 4 months and my fiance is not so happy these days.

I recognize that many of you already have a few years of hiring and managing a crew behind your belts. I would appreciate it if you could share your "growth process" a bit more with me, perhaps how you went about training in your guys-task delegation,etc...

I'd fing any input HUGELY helpful!

12 answers to this question

Matt, I think I may have mentioned this before in another thread. They key to employees is systemization (if thats a word). By clearly defining tasks and technique you make your employees efficient from Jump Street. I didn't do that at first and when I was out with guys they would stand around and wait for the next task. I did that for a year and all I did was shell out pay for a guy to occassionally take the wand and roll up hoses. Sending anyone out on their own at that point would have been a disaster. I started by making a list of tasks I wished to delegate and laminated it. Corny, I know but after a few weeks the guy I had with me had the routines down. My production instantly and dramatically rose. I wasn't nearly as tired at the end of the day. Eventually I saw flaws in the system and revised it more.

I had no choice but to get a systematic training technique down as I let my entire workforce go at the end of the season. About 1/3 of the guys returned this year. Those guys are now all the crew leaders (one guy is actually solo and does nothing but maintenance projects) The season here goes from nothing to 100 miles an hour very quickly. I still struggle a bit in the spring to get up and running full steam but the process has improved to where a guy can train on four jobs with me or Jason and then he is ready to be half of a crew.

Edited by PressurePros

Thanks for taking the time to share,Ken. I appreciate that! I more than just recall our conversation regarding systemization. I have really taken that to heart in the last couple of weeks. It's been pretty enlightening to get my system out of my head and onto paper. The laminate idea is far from corny, it makes sense to me. Seems like getting things out on paper is an important BIG first step!

Do you think that it makes sense to start first with delegating stain duties? My thinking last night was that I would train 1 guy at a time, all the essential tasks that revolve around the finishing process. At first, keeping him away from spraying, until he has a chance to really get used to the hand work. Set-up work, load-outs, masking, prep really does wear me down. I've been a workaholic my entire life and have been blessed with a strong back and a real get-er-done attitude. I attribute my die hard work ethic to the summers I spent commercial fishing up in Alaska. Trouble is, seems like that has really slowed me down in getting around to 'letting go' and hiring helpers.

As I mentioned in my post, my biggest motivation right now is profitability. I have spent years developing my advertising strategy (love that stuff!) and have been getting right around an 800% return on advertising in my area. My market is loaded with fly by night guys, hacks, and loads of HO's with the dispensable income to hire a professional to get the job done right and on schedule. I really go to great lengths to keep my customer satisfaction at 100% whatever it takes.

At 37 yrs. old, I think its time to start making the shift towards a crew. When I get out of bed in the morning, I feel like Im 90 yrs. old! A couple of cups of coffee and Im right back in it, but I really think its time to start working smarter, not harder.

Thanks for your wise thoughts, Ken.

Matt, just turned 40 here so I know exactly what you mean. The most important thing you can do in business is write things down. Even starting small, I am always amazed at the much better things progress when I start with an idea on paper.

Matt,

WOW!! I have been lucky I guess. I have several employees that not only have been with me but have helped me develop my training and teaching methods to new employees.

We don’t even hire anyone with Pressure washing experience. We prefer they have never even operated one.

When looking for labor position I can give you a little hit. Never advertise for the starting pay, advertise about three or four dollars higher. Example, if you advertise for 8 dollars per hour, that’s exactly who’s calling. If you advertise higher for the most part the looser that’s been from job to job may not even call you. Most important the guy you want is never calling you for 8 dollars and hour. If you advertise 3 to 4 dollars higher you will see a dramatic increase in the selection of people and like us we are willing to actually pay someone good that actually needs are real job versus someone who just looking for a paycheck.

Filling your shoes,,,LOL your dreaming. Truthfully this will probably never happen. That doesn’t mean you can’t get out from behind the wand.

You need someone that know the techniques and that will care enough to watch your production and make sure customers are happy with the work he is doing. This guy will need that training kens referring to above, a program laid out in writing so he can follow it to train his helper in the methods you use. If you try to train this guy and this is not in place you may or may not succeed. Even if you get them trained you will find things getting changed. Its starts with small thing, later turns into larger ones. If you’re not on top of things always you will always be correcting this employee and others down the road.

Your guy that you want to replace in the field would need your personal side by side training and teaching of how to truly handle the job from start to finish. His or her appearance and ability to not on have the skills but handle people will be crucial. I have found if the people don’t have the people skills at this stage of the game, get someone else. This trait is very difficult to train someone that all there life they have not had them. Remember, its silly but people want to feel comfortable with someone at there home or place of business. (My point while training this person just don’t think about application)

Matt, if you think your going to handle it all besides the application your mind set of getting out from behind the wand is already wrong. My point here is that if you want to manage your business and allow it to grow. You will eventually have many people doing aspects of what you do on different levels.

I guessing right now you order, handle schedule, write invoices, pay bills, sell, estimate, perform work, make dinner a couple times and week, pick the kids up, take them to the park, The reasons I mention this above are the things as one man or two men shows do. We handle everything, we run around with our heads cut off. You mentioned work smarter not harder; truth in this is we all want more time in our lives for family and ourselves. This ultimately is your goal and don’t forget that goal. Ken told you write things on paper, write the reasons you want to achieve this on paper also. Put that on the fridge, the visor or your truck and read it each and everyday.

I was younger and had the oportunity to see “Dale Carnegie” that spelling may be wrong. It’s been 20 years, I remember him having photos of everything he wanted to achieve. Often the writing things down or having a picture of that sale boat you’re dreaming about is motivation. I have no idea what your intentions or dreams are but I would say start by identifying those and tell those close to you what you’re trying to accomplish and set out on the track to get it done. Remind yourself daily. This step if often the hardest in small business to make, if someone told you its going to be easy they lied to you. After you trained the wrong guy possibly four times you will find the right one. You will know it when you find him, pay him and keep him.

Loyalty is a too way street.

Edited by Ron Musgraves

I guessing right now you order, handle schedule, write invoices, pay bills, sell, estimate, perform work, make dinner a couple times and week, pick the kids up, take them to the park,

Thanks for your input Ron... words to live by.

Well I ran some numbers this weekend on net losses due to me being unable to get to all of my bids last month. I have always done my level best to handle call-backs within 24hrs of the original call, provide quotes within a week,. and schedule new projects within 2 weeks of contract signing. This has worked OK, but I know that I'm missing out on LOTS of jobs as a result of not more aggressively managing my advertising schedule and increasing my bids p/week. I guess what Im getting at is that I really feel like I have been far too tangled up in completing all of my decks as a one man show, when I my time could be better spent doing everything neccessary to increase volume of new projects, staying on top of advertising and being more astute at follow-ups once a bid has been submitted to my prospective new client.

I know this is some real rookie rambling here, but its killing me trying to manage 100% of my business alone w/o help in the field and in the office. I actually quite enjoy putting together my proposals, meeting with clients, strategizing on new marketing ideas,etc... I've been in business for myself since I was a kid.. I love that aspect. I also love, for the most part, all the aspects of exterior wood restoration. This has been an enlightening couple of years participating in discussions on this forum and learning from all the experienced and hard working wood contractors in here. I really think Im ready to begin training in a crew and, maybe most importantly "letting go" on the job site. I agree with Ron with respect to solid training and paying help well. I've always believed in this. I always leave enough room in my bids for this and realize that respect is an earned commodity.

Whats going to be most difficult for me is this "letting go" of control process I think. When I run the #'s, it seems pretty clear that I'll be making more money and slaving less if I train a crew to takeover the labor end of my deck restoration work. Funny that, hmmm, less work (physically that is) and more pay at the end of the month? I dont know why its so darn hard for me to let go!

Then the people that you spent all the time to train properly, take that knowledge and go start their own business. And maybe steal your customers too.

"start small, grow big?"

yeah they'd be starting small...but you got to start somewhere right?

I've seen before....a business hires someone from the ground up and shows them how to do something and what to use and what to say and where to buy things you need...and next thing you know....."Joe Blows Deck Care"

...and your back to square one. Nice thing about being a one man show, you dont have to worry about scenarios like that.

Edited by Belmont

Answering another poster with no ID, here it goes again.....

Then the people that you spent all the time to train properly, take that knowledge and go start their own business. And maybe steal your customers too.

"start small, grow big?"

yeah they'd be starting small...but you got to start somewhere right?

I've seen before....a business hires someone from the ground up and shows them how to do something and what to use and what to say and where to buy things you need...and next thing you know....."Joe Blows Deck Care"

...and your back to square one. Nice thing about being a one man show, you dont have to worry about scenarios like that.

My techs no nothing about how our business really runs. My sales people have a small piece of the marketing because they use it to sell each day.

The people in my operation that understand the full operation are paid well and have incentives.

All the people that want to go on there own I will teach them everything under agreement and hire there company.

I learned long ago that this was a problem and cured it.

I tell and share secrets more than most on the internet and have no worry about what your talking about. I realize for you it may be real, I choose not to allow it to slow me down.

Edited by Ron Musgraves

Ron, I like the way you think. I,too have had concerns around this issue. But your absolutely right, the techs don't need to know more than you need them to. The way I figure, if a guy wants to strike out on his own, let him. Most guys are just happy with steady work and a respectful working environment. And, if you manage your growth effectively, you become less concerned with newbie competition... I hope to be there myself one day soon!

That's another advantage to being a company that caters to higher end work. If any of my people decided to branch out on their own they could never get access to the marketing neccessary nor know how to close big jobs. That would put them in the pool with the rest of the "technicians". For the first couple of years they would probably make the same pay they made working for me and have to invest their own money in equipment, spend time and money out of pocket marketing their company only to compete with every guy that thinks owning a business is about "charging a fair price" or giving customers a "good deal". They don't last and they are not competition.

That's another advantage to being a company that caters to higher end work. If any of my people decided to branch out on their own they could never get access to the marketing neccessary nor know how to close big jobs. That would put them in the pool with the rest of the "technicians". For the first couple of years they would probably make the same pay they made working for me and have to invest their own money in equipment, spend time and money out of pocket marketing their company only to compete with every guy that thinks owning a business is about "charging a fair price" or giving customers a "good deal". They don't last and they are not competition.

That was an eye opener! I never thought about that, that would actually be funny - watching guys trying f you behind your back. And then they slowly realize how screwed they are.