Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Cleaning brushes of WoodTux

Question

Any tricks? We have about $80 worth of natural bristle brushes that have been soaking in paint thinner for 5 days. Combed and brushed a few times but still "stiff" from WoodTux use. Hate to throw them out.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

13 answers to this question

Well, you just have to be careful how strong and how long you leave them. We use it. Call Rod on 240-876-0693 and ask him how strong he mixes and how long they soak. I know when the sealer is fresh, it's not a huge deal.

Beth

ps you need the NaOH to strip the sealer...

Crown actually makes a brush cleaner, you can get it in a quart sized can. I've used it before and it works great. You can also do like Kevin said use a solvent blend and then a degreaser. Just don't let the brushes stay in the solvent for long it will melt the bristles.

Swirl them around in lacquer thinner till it gives then clean in degreaser.

Ok Kevin, I purchased some lacquer thinner. Still need to understand what a "degreaser" is. We only do wood, not hoods. Any commonly available product names would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ok Kevin, I purchased some lacquer thinner. Still need to understand what a "degreaser" is. We only do wood, not hoods. Any commonly available product names would be appreciated. Thanks.

760 is a degreaser. A very, heavy duty, degreaser.

Beth

Well Rick I like to view them as any cleaner that effectively removes a synthetic or organic oil, grease, etc....and that would be what yer doing in using a degreaser after cleaning or getting things going in some the solvent. Mineral spirits in perticular like to leave some residue, lacquer thinner or acetone not really but when the stuff evaps off a residue of the stain oils or what have you may be left behind. So is just a standard recommendation to stick stuff in degreaser and water for a good thorough rinsing after using solvent. When using the stronger solvents your not gonna want to be soaking your stuff for long.

If lacquer thinner doesn't clean them then acetone will...what's yer results?

ps- purple power, krud cutter, 409, simple green, tsp

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Kevin,

You said:

ps- purple power, krud cutter, 409, simple green, tsp

Thank you. Have TSP somewhere and a few gals. of Simple Green for RS cleanup. Will try to clean this stubborn WT out of the brushes tomorrow. Appreciate the info.

Beth,

You're not kidding. I would have posted a nasty diatribe on TGS if I had to throw those brushes out due to a stain. Kevin saved me ~ 3 cases of Heineken.