Sign in to follow this  
rtate

Help with IPE finishing...

First post ,great site I've already learned tons.

I have a ipe deck that is about 8 months old and never been treated with any product. Originally I was going to leave it ,but now I want to recover that original color.

So far I have cleaned with RAD step 1 and the results are less than what I expected,see the pictures. Possibly I have not rinsed well enough although it seemed like I rinsed forever with an electric power washer.

Do I need to re-apply the cleaner and re-rinse to get rid of the white marks?

Next I will brighten and stain.

I had wanted to use the "woodzotic" product but that doesn't look good right now. My next choices are Woodrich, Messmers or ATO

The deck does not get alot of direct sun and with the tree coverage some areas can stay damp for quite a while so mold control will be an issue.

Suggestions or advice on a finish product would be greatly appreciated!!!

rtate,

Trash the electric power washer. You do not need a PW to clean ipe'. The "white" marks look like a combination of furring and wand marks from too much pressure.

Buy a large, soft brush on a pole at Home Depot. Apply the cleaner and scrub. Hose rinse off. Throw on your acid, let dwell for a while, and rinse throughly.

When dry, lightly sand all the ipe' with a random orbital sander, 60 grit paper is good.

You can mimic WoodZotic by mixing equal quantities of Wood Tux western cedar and brown sugar.

Edited by RPetry
spelling

Thanks for the replys..

I'm in Burlington.Ontario Canada

I am surprised that my little electric power washer would leave marks on the ipe, but I must have done something wrong...

I have read both sand and don't sand but I cant decide whichis better.

With my deck being over 750 sq ft I would like to side with the "don't sand" camp but I want to do what is the best prep for the stain application and spot sanding really shows up!!!

After the brightening process how long can i go without appling the stain before I woud have to re-clean and brighten the deck.

I really want to clean it up now but I still have not decided on a stain product and that may take a couple of weeks to settle, is that too long?

Hey, I also have an IPE deck and it looked alot like your pic. I posted the other day as I started to stain the deck and wasnt sure how well it was going to look - I had never had a stain on the deck and it is 10 yrs old. I used Cabots ATO and the first coat went on well and really sunk intot he wood - when it dried the boards looked faded but mostly uniform - I applied a second coat a day 1\2 later and so far the deck looks like a fine mahogany floor - hoping it will keep that look - the stain goes on very easy and coats nice. I used mahongany flame and it gives a very rich brown color to the wood so far so good. I am concerned about having to do this yearly so I hope it lasts a while - hope this helps