Sign in to follow this  
Jeffrey Abrams

larger decks

Question

15 answers to this question

Yes I did a bid on a redwood deck that was over 2500 square feet. I was going to clean , neutralize and stain the deck. Two coats of Penofin ( customer supplied). When I gave him my quote be basically threw me out saying I was way to high. He then stated all other quuotes he received were under 1,000 dollars. I think that's too low.

Call him up and ask him to specifically ask the other bidders if they could even identify his deck as being redwood, and ask him to ask them what type of wood it is considered to be...hard, medium, soft...explain to him the challenges you face working with that particular wood, and see what he says next. Alot of guys can't tell redwood from PT from cedar, and that can be really bad news for the homeowner.

With some of the sealers that are out there I find its sometimes hard to tell what the wood is untill after the cleaning. That is of course if the customers does not know what it is. They only know if they had the deck installed(if they remember).

What do you guys do to try to identify the wood type in this type of situation?

sometimes I still have a problem fi the deck is built with a low grade cedar board.

Go to a lumber yard and get scraps of every type of wood. The hardest one's are redwood and doug fir. Because it's not used much east of the Mississippi river. Look under the deck if you can

Jeff, that is the type of person you don't want.

Jim -

Are you talking hardest to find? I ask because Redwood is not a hardwood. It's a softwood. Douglas Fir is also a softwood, but varies in weight and strength and may be stronger if it is a more dense cut.

Beth