Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Little jobs

Question

I like to fill in the schedule with some little jobs. Quick to complete, you can schedule work around them. Nice to get done with an hour or two, here and there. They make a nice break from typical decks.

Mix of clear and knotty western red cedar, with numerous layers of suspected Behr's and/or CWF. Stripped, citric, and sanded. One heavy application of Ready Seal natural cedar.

Wish it was, but the handsome guy in the middle picture is not me. A terrific helper, Chris, in his 2nd year. Bless him, he does most of the work!

Edited by RPetry

6 answers to this question

Thanks Beth & Mark.

This is a wonderful customer. He also has a little red mahogany deck in the back that we restored last year. No balustrade with 2 steps.

We have 2 monster deck jobs coming up, in late July and mid August. They will take near forever to get done. I just like the change of pace of little jobs.

Rick, would you be so kind to pass along the tel # of your helper to us? I'd like to offer him a position with us, I'll double his current pay and give him a year of free surfing lessons on the sunny beaches of California. If he's single, I will also hook him up with a half-dozen of the hottest California surfer girls to better enjoy his leisure time while he's out here. Good help is hard to find...

Matt,

Keep your paws off my help. What do you want to do, make me work? Seriously, Chris is my best "kid" ever. Eagle Scout, president of his H.S. senior class, v.p. of his fraternity at Univ. of Michigan, and smart. Likes the work, is reliable, and can do many wood jobs on his own. My customers love him, especially the women!

I have had real good results hiring college students over the past several years. They start in late April or early May, just as the season here gets going full bore. Unfortunately, they are usually done in mid to late August, having to get back to school.