Sign in to follow this  
buc21jrs3

Res. Concrete

Question

If I am only looking to clean up dirt/grime from residential concrete, can anyone suggest a good soap mixture (other than chemicals; Coy pond close by)that would do the job or would a basic surface cleaner with high pressure water only do the trick?

6 answers to this question

If I am only looking to clean up dirt/grime from residential concrete, can anyone suggest a good soap mixture (other than chemicals; Coy pond close by)that would do the job or would a basic surface cleaner with high pressure water only do the trick?

Soaps are chemicals.

Pressure wash concrete, rinse concrete, then treat concrete with a strong chlorine solution (while concrete is still wet) and watch the leftover tannin, mold, algae, and mildew melt away before your eyes. No need to rinse of the chemical, let in dry and neutralize on the concrete.

Soaps are chemicals.

Pressure wash concrete, rinse concrete, then treat concrete with a strong chlorine solution (while concrete is still wet) and watch the leftover tannin, mold, algae, and mildew melt away before your eyes. No need to rinse of the chemical, let in dry and neutralize on the concrete.

would a bleach/water mix have the same effect as the chlorine solution?

How close is the coy pond to what you are cleaning and what are you cleaning oil or just dirty concrete.

James, the bleach/water mix and chlorine solution terms are largely interchangable. Lance is correct in his evaluation in my opinion.

I would be very careful not to over-apply the solution. You want to apply just enough so that runoff is minimal. The coy won't like the bleach.

If I remember right, the aquarium shops (where the fish geeks go, not the local petsmart or whatever big petstore you have) used to have some kind of drops for removing the chlorine from tapwater. Maybe you could apply a judicious amount of whatever that stuff is to the foot of ground between your concrete and the pond.

Find out what is in the drops, and use that, or buy a lot of the drops.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.