Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Drain Cleaning

Question

I was recently talking to someone that asked if I could clean out the area drains that are scattered throughout his yard.

While this is not something that I specialize in, I have cleared a few when needed. Question is does anyone offer this as part of their current service?

I am only referring to exterior area drains, not standard sewer jetting. I would need to get a few hundred feet of sewer hose and other accessories, but want to know what I may expect to find. I know that tree roots are a common problem with these drains, but what else?

3 answers to this question

Are you referring to house drains or lawn drains?

If houe drains it would be like a roto tool, if lawn drains most would be so clogged with dirt you would need to dig up those plastic drains and replace them, no amount of pressure is going to break loose 10 feet of hard packed dirt.

I tried i with mine before the gardner ended up digging about 30 or so feet of them up.

Now grease trap drains in restaurants are another story, I would say to that sure invest the money and go for it.

Before offering sewer drain cleaning, check w/the supervisory agency about needed lisencing.

Best tool source I have found 800.345.2292 or blackbookoftools.com Colonial Hardware. Professional sales staff, know the products they sell.

Douglas Hicks

General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

Jon,

I call them Area Drains, but for you, I willl call them Lawn Drains, even though not all are on the lawn. Grease traps could be another item, as the equipment is the same.

Hard packed dirt for many feet may be a problem, which is why I am asking for more details here, but what about when people tunnel under the driveway with the garden hose for sprinkler pipes? Seems like 1500 PSI with the sewer nozzle would blow that dirt out quick.

Douglas,

Licensing would be the same as my current status from the City. I would not need a State Contractors Plumbing License unless I went full blown plumber and/or charged more than $500. per job. I would love for this to take off, but it would be more like a handy man service thing. I will check out that site you mentioned.