Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Thank you Russell Cissell / ESI

Question

An interesting and encouraging job. In mid May this spring, looked at a job in the "other side of the tracks" territory. Very nice young couple with a newborn and their first "starter" house. Just real nice people.

Pulling out of the driveway, I'm convinced that it is a losing proposition. Deck built by a friend using HD lumber, for free. No way these nice people can afford our services.

Call comes in on the cell. It is my wife. UPS had just drop shipped 2 five gallon pails from ESI. Now I know I did not order anything from Russell, so call him when I get back home. He explains the shipment as gratis, just to try his WoodRich Timber Oil stain. Well we put it to good use.

4 month old PT SYP, cleaned with percarb and neutralized with citric acid. Stain is WoodRich timber oil, 50/50 mix of brown sugar/western cedar.

I assume the stain is paraffinic, in most respects similar to Ready Seal. Two separate apps on the floor and toprail. Very nice product, and looks pretty darn good. Job finished yesterday afternoon.

Thank you Russell. I'm sure we would not have booked this job without your stain. My nice young customers are grateful as there was no charge for the stain. Even the baby was smiling!

10 answers to this question

Kevin,

The stain was only about 15 hours old since the 2nd application when the picture was taken. Paraffinics, at least Ready Seal, seem to take a week or so to cure to true finish/color.

Stain is WoodRich Timber Oil, 50/50 mix of brown sugar/western cedar pigments.

:cheers:No thank you Rick for passing the good fortune along. Hope they refer you 10x to those of us who live on the "other" side of the tracks. LOL,,, Not too many would have passed the free bee along like that. I'm sure that young couple greatly appriciated it. It will come back to you.

As well thanks to Russ for providing the oportunity had by all.

Haven't used the Woodrich yet but it looks great, did it go on easy.

Rick

What a great use for a free sample! That couldn't have turned out better for anyone. Pictures look good too.

It is pretty much a straight paraffinic. We use 10% alkyd just to body it up a little and help keep the transoxide pigments in suspension. We really load our finishes with pigment so if we didn't increase the viscosity a bit you would have an awful lot of settling.

Russell,

10 gallons of premium oil stain is more than a sample! Thank you and ESI for your generosity. To be honest, I did not work with the stain for very long, Chris, my helper did most of the staining. He loved it and he knows something about stains. It is his 2nd season. Viscosity may be a slight bit heavier than RS. Full job was brushed.

Bottom line is everyone is happy. The stain looks terrific. Thank you.

MudDuck,

As with all paraffinic oil stains, WoodRich Timber Oil and like products are the easiest, most forgiving, and best product you can apply to most exterior woods.

I love this kind of story! Kudos to both Russ, for providing a sample that could be used for a whole job, and to Rick for being able to help a young couple who might otherwise have had to forgo the service this year. This is very cool!!!

Beth

Honestly it wasn't so much a free sample as a "reward" or my way of showing how impressed I was with Rick's web site. The information he makes available combined with the quality design is just the sort of thing that enhances the professional image if the entire wood restoration industry.

Keep up the great work Rick!

While your on the horn Russ I'd like to thank you for the HD 80 sample you sent me last week for the contractor sign up. Haven't used HD 80 yet but plan to very soon on a couple of decks at a bar / grill that have everything from stain to paint to god knows what slapped on (over) it. Multiple strips for sure. Looks like a job specific for HD80 resolution and a ton of sanding. Might try one of your stains on it. Doe's it work well on pressure treated board? Just had kind of a bad 1st experiance with 5 yr Oly Max. Nat cedar. (blochi, too orange) Trying to find my go to. Will give you a call if the bid goe's through. Again thanks.

Dwell time is the key to tough strip jobs. Be patient, let it sit there as long as you can stand and keep misting it with water to keep the chemical wet and active.

Brown Sugar and Western Cedar both look good on most types of PT lumber. Our Warm Honey Gold color tends to look sort of orange. WHG is batter for darker woods.

Dwell time is the key to tough strip jobs. Be patient, let it sit there as long as you can stand and keep misting it with water to keep the chemical wet and active.

Brown Sugar and Western Cedar both look good on most types of PT lumber. Our Warm Honey Gold color tends to look sort of orange. WHG is batter for darker woods.

I'll add one nugget of advice....if you are relatively new to stripping, keep it misted wet with more product, not water. If you are newer to stripping, not sure of your ratios, and over wet it you can reduce the effectiveness. Once you have some experience and good success with stripping you may feel more comfortable with water misting. For the novice - don't do it. You will be naturally inclined to wash too soon as it is....

Patience is everything...

Just my .02.

Beth