Sign in to follow this  
MudDuck

Could stain be bad??

Question

I don't have pics as of yet but I did a large deck the other week with Olympic Max Natural Cedar 5yr. simi trans (water based) It was impossible to get it to come out even, has some blochy spots. ( It was stripped with F18 and neutrilized and brightend then sanded. I brushed one board at a time and back brushed. I tried to pump up spray it but determined it would not work then went to brush. The verticals even look like crap. It came out looking like some dance strippers had a mud match using Hooters BBQ sauce up there. Really that exact color. It's been over a week and has not toned down any. I went and got some sample packets of the same thing at the same store and the color doesn't match.

Has anyone ever had problems with Oly Nat cedar? Or can a stain be bad? this was my first try with Oly but brushing it I don't see how I could have done anything wrong. I'm at the point I'm going to have to redo the entire thing again. Second story deck 13ft X 32ft...I would at least like to find out if the stain could be bad so I could make that argument with Lowes and salvage that cost by getting it replaced. Thanks.

9 answers to this question

Ask the people at your local Lowes for the name and number of your local PPG/Olympic rep. If he/she is anything like the rep I have, you will get some help.

I agree - any water based product I've ever tried is tough to work with.

Tried some Behr Water Base the other day just for kicks (for the wet wood friendly theory) and man that stuff looks horrid....

Yea I've offerd to redo it. Even told him I wanted to re do it. The guy wants me to come to Charlotte and wash his house there and two or three other rent houses for him there so I want to make it right. The HO picked up that stain because another neighbor said thats what he used and he liked his deck. I wanted to use RS. Will new stain strip pretty easy? The original strip looked perfect like it was new wood.

Water based stain is all crap. You should have used an oil base. The stain is acting normal - crappy.

Short and on point Jarrod :)

Oil based stains are best

I remember when I was a kid my father was staining our fences using USED MOTOR OIL .... yup motor oil . Nice dark brown color :D It lasted for years . At that time there was no stains in the stores , just paint.

Hey Mud, where do you live at? The reason I'm asking is I think I may be pretty close to you.

Never use a waterbased stain to restore wood, grab AC stain and never look back.

Yea were somewhat close. I'm over in the Wilkes Jefferson area and will go West to Tn and North to VA. Where do you get your AC? Does AC spray well and with what sprayer? I've got to start spraying. Hard to make any money with a one man show doing everything manual in between rain showers. This dang weather up here in the high country creates its self. It rains somewhere up here EVERY day. Or the wind, 40 to 60mph is fairly common. Had it clocked at 86mph back in the spring and it wasn't during a storm. Just windy day. I came home and found my giant stainless grill w/ full LP tank blown 20 yrds uphill, rolled it at least 3 times. Tore it all to pieces. Havent seen my trash cans since.

What was on the deck before?

Did the stain get stirred thoroughly with a paddle mixer?

Was the deck overly hot during application?

Do you have any pics? (before/during/after)

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod
punctuation