Sign in to follow this  
gt2003

Should I wet deck prior to using EFC-38?

Should I lightly spray down my deck with water prior to using the efc-38 or will this just dilute the cleaner?

Also, how much will 1 container of Citralic make? It says up to 10 gallons on the front of the container but the mixing instructions are unclear. For some reason I was thinking 2 lbs of it would make 5 gallons. Is this right?

I always like drenching wood with as much water as humanly possible before the wood won't accept anymore moisture. This I feel keeps the chemical on the top and not get sucked into the pores of the wood and cause lower damage. And you don't have to mist as much to keep it from drying.

Unless its a super hot day just put the cleaner on dry wood. If the wood is soaked with water you are simply diluting your mix as soon as it hits the deck.

Mixing instructions for citralic will depend on what you are neutralizing. 10 gallons means you are only mixing 3-4 ounces per gallon. I dont use citralic but for new wood 3-4 ounces of oxalic is plenty. If you are doing a heavy strip you will want a stronger mix of neutralizer (8 ounces per gallon)

Edited by bigchaz
wording

Thanks guys. I'm picking up my orbital sander tomorrow and will either start the sanding process tomorrow night or wednesday morning. I can't wait to get this thing going. Thanks for all the help, Greg

Chuck I kind of disagree with what you are saying - if you soak and soak the wood, as long as the water isn't puddled - then any cleaner you apply won't be diluted. I do this because I have noticed that decks that are drenching wet - no longer accept anymore moisture - and it allows the cleaner to stay on the surface and clean more effectively. It also has the added benefit of not furring wood as much either - the chemicals aren't diving deep into the wood where they aren't needed.

Unless its a super hot day just put the cleaner on dry wood. If the wood is soaked with water you are simply diluting your mix as soon as it hits the deck.

Mixing instructions for citralic will depend on what you are neutralizing. 10 gallons means you are only mixing 3-4 ounces per gallon. I dont use citralic but for new wood 3-4 ounces of oxalic is plenty. If you are doing a heavy strip you will want a stronger mix of neutralizer (8 ounces per gallon)

Agreed. Apply the cleaner directly to the wood. Watering the deck will dilute the effectiveness and add to your frustration.

Beth

I agree with Beth & Charlie on this one, though I do mist a deck along with anything else on a hot day to cool it off before applying chems