Sign in to follow this  
Damian Casillas

Safe for automotive finishes?

Question

Hi guys. I posted this question under cleaners and chemicals first but didnt get any response so I thought I'd ask here. Is it safe for me to use either simple cherry or powerhouse on a car dealership I'm doing next week? I am concerned about overspray landing on the vehicles. The building is 2 story, white stucco, and brick painted white. I am going to be x-jetting it with either powerhouse or simple cherry and water. I would like to use some sodium hypochlorite but I assume that is out of the question.

The dealership will be moving the cars as far away from the building as possible but I want to make sure that I do everything to limit my risk to harming the paint on these new cars. Any advice on the best way to procede would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Damian Casillas

A.B. Window Cleaning

Edited by Damian Casillas

5 answers to this question

Call Bob at Pressure Tek if you want a "real" answer but I can't imagine how Simple C would hurt anything in its self. I think your going to have to have some SH for that stucco and would just use OTC clorox 6% and blow rinse water in the air flow every few min toward the cars and try to wet them down. Or set up a sprinkler and a water hose from the get go. Though I don't think X jetted 6% SH mix is going to hurt a car finish but then again if its a Ferrari lot I'd make sure for sure. Mix it a little weak at 2gal per 5er and plenty of Dawn for hang time and let it dwell.

I'd use the sprinkler and 6% the more I think about it because your going to have to use some SH to brighten up that stucco the way you want it to be. I would not use 12.5% because it very well might get on something and could. Just my opinion here,,,no "expert".

That's what I want to know. The job will be done at night so I don't think there will be a drying problem. But I do have a DI setup so once the job is done I could pressure wash the cars in the immediate area with DI water once I'm done just to be safe. What do you think?

If the cars are moved up wind thats good. But if you think theres any chance rinse the cars so there wet then after you move to another side rinse the cars again. As long as your not using acid your ok.

Dave

Fiberglaze

Restoration & refinishing

Restoring the Carolinas

Charlotte and surrounding areas

704-573-1234

Keep them rinsed just about any soap left on long enough even if it does not dry can damage the painted surface or discolor it slightly.

I agree with Dave, pre wet the ones near the area you are washing and rinse them after you soap the wall. Then after you wash rinse them again or wash the ones that had over-spray. You should be ok without having to move them though, just be careful.